3 dead chicks 23 infected... Help please :(

mckaig78

Hatching
6 Years
May 2, 2013
Yesterday we lost two chickens. Today 15 more show same symptoms: shortness of breath (gasping noise), watery eyes, slight yellow stool, off balance. Our hearts are breaking. Has anyone experienced this, if so how can we save them. We also have a video in hopes that it will help us solve this.

It would be helpful to see if you can post the video and if the video doesn't work pics would do
smile.png
I definitely would separate the healthy chicks so they don't get it. At almost every feed store you can get something called electrolytes (save a chick) for about 50 cents that is like a super vitamin supplement. We have used it and it has actually save our chickens 4-5 times
ep.gif
. I would think that that would help keep the healthy chicks healthy and help the sick chicks get well
thumbsup.gif

Well, I'm no expert but Newcastle comes to mind.

What age(s) are the birds?

What do you mean by off balance? Cant stand up, twitching, drunk, paralysis, twisted limbs or necks?

I'm not much help but at least I'll keep your thread active.

By off balance we mean that when sitting they lean to one side. I've been told that it may be a respiratory infection. They are stretching their necks and opening their mouths when trying to breath, some make gurgling sounds.

Ok - that sounds right to me. I was off track thinking off-balance meant something else.
I've heard Tylan is good for respiratory infections - i would start antibiotic immediately.
I'm not an old timer(as far as chickens go) so maybe someone can confirm that strategy.

Back
Top Bottom