3 different feeds in 5 weeks

stevin

Songster
10 Years
Sep 11, 2009
Dartmouth, Ma
this will be the 3rd different feed that my 5 week old chicks will be eating.
weeks 1-2: Nutrena medicated chick starter/grower 25#
weeks 3-5: Nutrena Gamebird crumbles 50#
week 6.....?

Now i need to buy more feed but the store i normally go to is already closed by the time i get home from work and the only place around me that will be open after 5pm is Agway and they don't carry Nutrena.
the have the Agway chick grower which has 14.5% protien. i'm not sure about the % in the nutrena feed because the gamebird crumbles bag never had the tag w/the ingredients on it but i'm assuming the protien was somewhere around 20% give or take.
Is it wise to switch to a feed with a lower protien content?

I guess it would depend on what type of chicks you have. Is there a reason you were feeding gamebird groweer in the first place? are they game bird chicks?

they are RIR's. the guy at the feedstore suggested the gamebird crumbles when i went back 2 weeks after buying a 25# bag of chick starter.
i did a search here on BYC when i returned home and even posted a thread asking if it was OK to feed them.
the responses were that it was fine and that people had good results feeding gamebird feed to chicks.

Your chicks need the high protein for their growing feathers. Can you have someone buy the gamebird for you?

Back
Top Bottom