3 different humidity readings

marlene

Songster
8 Years
Aug 17, 2011
UK
I have a rcom king suro 20 incubator.
The humidity on the bator is reading 44%. I also have 2 separate humidity readers which I calibrated. On calibration, 1 read 74% and the other 72%. I have now put both in the incubator and it's confusing me. The one that read 74% is reading 38%, the one that read 72% is reading 43% and the incubator is reading 44%.
When I calibrated the 2 extras there was a difference of 2% between them, but since putting them in the bator there is 5%.
Can anyone help me please?

I have 2 hygrometers in my bator, both are brand new. One is digital (30%), one is analog (37%). I ran the bator for 2 days prior to adding eggs. The digital consistently reads about 5 points lower than the analog (which I trust, it's the more expensive unit). Instructions didn't say if either of them can be calibrated, but I've been averaging the two readings (I just set the eggs 12hrs ago).
hu.gif

I also have 3 thermometers that all read slightly different. Go figure!
roll.png

I have 2 hygrometers in my bator, both are brand new. One is digital (30%), one is analog (37%). I ran the bator for 2 days prior to adding eggs. The digital consistently reads about 5 points lower than the analog (which I trust, it's the more expensive unit). Instructions didn't say if either of them can be calibrated, but I've been averaging the two readings (I just set the eggs 12hrs ago). :confused:

I also have 3 thermometers that all read slightly different. Go figure! :rolleyes:

I haven't put my eggs in yet as they only arrived today so wanted to leave them to rest till tomorrow. That is why I have been trying for the last couple of days to sort out the humidity differences. Luckily the temperature seems to be spot on.

You're doing the right thing, running the bator and testing it out.....now you have an idea of how your tools, just remember how they need to be adjusted (- / +). I found the test run to be a very valuable thing and I wouldn't have thought much of it if I hadn't read about it on BYC...

2 you should build an home made hygrometer see pic! It is very easy!

3. You should have the digital hygrometer that you want to calibrate.
M.O
A.Set you incubator to 30C with a measuring cup with a known volume of distilled water put inside the home made hygrometer and the digital hygrometer and measure the humidity in boat devices( how to measure in the home made hygrometer, see the attache in the end!) write the reeding of the humidity level
In boat devices.
Do the same another 3 times but change the temp in the bator to: 35C,40C and 45C. So after you do that you will have 4 humidity level measured by the home made hygrometer and 4 humidity level measured by the digital hygrometer.
B. After you have all the readings you should calculate the delta( difference) between the 2 reedings
For example :
If in 30C the home made hygrometer showed 53% and the digital showed 51%
The difference is
53%-51%=(+)2%
You should do this with all the different temp. That you measured.
C.you should sum all the differences that you calculated
For example:
If the deltas were: 2%,3.4%(-2%),3%
The sum will be: 2+3.4-2+3=6.4
D,you should calculate the average difference:
(6.4)%:4= (+)1.6%
That Menes that you should add to your digital readings 1.6% humidity.
If the calculated average is negative ( has a minus in front of it) you should reduce
The number from your digital hygrometer readings!
How to measure with home made hygrometer:
You should reed the temp of the dry thermometer, and the one of the wet thermometer, calculate the difference( dry-wet) and use the table in the link!
http://www.agrolan.co.il/uploadfiles/rh.htm
Some examp. From the link

picture to illustrate why we calibrate.​

All the same brand. All read the same a month ago. All in the same conditions for the past week. All read different.
I also will be investing in a thermometer with tenths digits to compare to my thermostat.​

Mix 1/2 cup of salt and 1/4 cup of water to make a thick slurry. Put your thermometer/hygrometer into a large zip-close plastic bag with this cup of salt slurry, close completely, and leave at room temperature for several hours or overnight. Do not let the water actually touch the hygrometer. If at the end of this time the relative humidity inside the bag is 75%, you're home free. (You should read it while it is still in the closed bag, because the second you take it out, the humidity in your house will begin to affect the reading.)

If the humidity is higher or lower, however, you will need to make a note of the % by which the hygrometer deviates, and always remember to mentally add or subtract that percentage during incubation to maintain the desired humidity: For example, if your humidity reading is 80%, you must always subtract 5% from whatever you see on the hygrometer. If it says 40%, you will know the real humidity is 35%.​

[COLOR=333333] Thank you for taking the time to share great information

picture to illustrate why we calibrate.​

[quote url="[URL]https://www.backyardchickens.com/content/type/61/id/7156147/[/URL]"]
All the same brand. All read the same a month ago. All in the same conditions for the past week. All read different. I also will be investing in a thermometer with tenths digits to compare to my thermostat.

[/COLOR] [/quote]

Back
Top Bottom