1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

3 different humidity readings

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by marlene, Sep 7, 2016.

1. marlene

marlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2011
    UK
    I have a rcom king suro 20 incubator.
    The humidity on the bator is reading 44%. I also have 2 separate humidity readers which I calibrated. On calibration, 1 read 74% and the other 72%. I have now put both in the incubator and it's confusing me. The one that read 74% is reading 38%, the one that read 72% is reading 43% and the incubator is reading 44%.
    When I calibrated the 2 extras there was a difference of 2% between them, but since putting them in the bator there is 5%.
    Can anyone help me please?

2. marlene

Aug 17, 2011
    UK
    Is anyone able to help me please?

3. DwayneNLiz

DwayneNLiz ...lost... Premium Member

Jun 18, 2013
    NH
    you need to calibrate again

Last edited: Sep 7, 2016
  4. n8ivetxn

n8ivetxn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2011
    Elma, Washington
    I have 2 hygrometers in my bator, both are brand new. One is digital (30%), one is analog (37%). I ran the bator for 2 days prior to adding eggs. The digital consistently reads about 5 points lower than the analog (which I trust, it's the more expensive unit). Instructions didn't say if either of them can be calibrated, but I've been averaging the two readings (I just set the eggs 12hrs ago). [​IMG]

I also have 3 thermometers that all read slightly different. Go figure! [​IMG]

5. marlene

Aug 17, 2011
    UK
    I haven't put my eggs in yet as they only arrived today so wanted to leave them to rest till tomorrow. That is why I have been trying for the last couple of days to sort out the humidity differences. Luckily the temperature seems to be spot on.

6. n8ivetxn

Nov 15, 2011
    Elma, Washington
    You're doing the right thing, running the bator and testing it out.....now you have an idea of how your tools, just remember how they need to be adjusted (- / +). I found the test run to be a very valuable thing and I wouldn't have thought much of it if I hadn't read about it on BYC...

7. DwayneNLiz

Jun 18, 2013
    NH

picture to illustrate why we calibrate.​

Mix 1/2 cup of salt and 1/4 cup of water to make a thick slurry. Put your thermometer/hygrometer into a large zip-close plastic bag with this cup of salt slurry, close completely, and leave at room temperature for several hours or overnight. Do not let the water actually touch the hygrometer. If at the end of this time the relative humidity inside the bag is 75%, you're home free. (You should read it while it is still in the closed bag, because the second you take it out, the humidity in your house will begin to affect the reading.)

If the humidity is higher or lower, however, you will need to make a note of the % by which the hygrometer deviates, and always remember to mentally add or subtract that percentage during incubation to maintain the desired humidity: For example, if your humidity reading is 80%, you must always subtract 5% from whatever you see on the hygrometer. If it says 40%, you will know the real humidity is 35%.​

1 person likes this.
  8. n8ivetxn

Nov 15, 2011
    Elma, Washington
    Excellent! Thanks so much for that [​IMG]I'll take mine out, one at a time, and do this......

9. DwayneNLiz

Jun 18, 2013
    NH
    thats why we're all on here, to get help from others and lend a helping hand

1 person likes this.
  10. marlene

Aug 17, 2011
    UK

[/COLOR] [/quote]

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by