3 domestic ducks living on the pond now... how much do you supplement with food?

Duck Lady1

Songster
Mar 26, 2020
About 20 miles NE of Charleston, SC
They must be happier living out on the pond because they seem to have bigger appetites.

Just a week ago when they were cooped up in my backyard, I found them neglecting their food. I was feeding them about 20 oz of duck food a day and they would ignore most of it while the flies buzzed around it. Meanwhile they seemed to be foraging on their own in the backyard.

Now that they stay out on the pond all day everyday, I was planning to just supplement about 8-16 oz a day for them at most and encourage them to continue foraging.

But by afternoon they quack and call for me. When I step out with 8 oz of food they gobble it up in a heartbeat and ask for more.

How much should 3 ducks who are out on their own be supplemented?

I don't mind feeding them, but I'd like to see them be independent to some extent.

I've seen white ducks live on their own on ponds without any supplement.

That isn't by choice though most of the time they are dumped and have no way of survival and are being fed no telling what by humans that visit parks etc, Our own domestics need to have a choice of feed or foraging or both. Mine forage but I keep feed out for the during daylight hrs. They are my pets.

I feel the same way - my pets. My responsibility. I just don't want to overfeed them and cause them to be more dependent on me than they need to be. I would like to encourage foraging. Is 5 oz supplement per duck per day too little or too much?

How old are your ducks? Adults don’t need feed left out 24/7 and over night will draw predators. But I’d give them access to feed during the day. Just like our other pets of course they are going to be dependent on you for their care.

I go out there several times a day with about 8 oz of feed and they gobble it up heartily. That's why I'm afraid it's too much and they will take more than they need. I agree I don't want to leave it out. Also, the pond has a lot of Canadian geese and they'll take whatever the ducks don't eat.

I go out there several times a day with about 8 oz of feed and they gobble it up heartily. That's why I'm afraid it's too much and they will take more than they need. I agree I don't want to leave it out. Also, the pond has a lot of Canadian geese and they'll take whatever the ducks don't eat.
Your Ducks are conditioned to gobble food as Ducks provided feed 24/7 only eat what they need.

I’ve never had any of my ducks gorge just keep doing what your doing I don’t think 8 oz of feed Is to much for 3 ducks a couple times a day. If they are acting hungry they must be.

Back
Top Bottom