3 Dozen Hatching Eggs for a school project near Morgantown, PA

CritterHill

Crowing
15 Years
Feb 3, 2008
SE PA
Hey folks, I have volunteered to acquire 3 dozen hatching eggs for an embryology unit in my daughter's school where they incubate and hatch the eggs in the classroom.

I do not need the eggs until APRIL, but I want to make sure there are folks in my area that I could purchase fertile eggs from before I promise them to the school for sure.

I would like to pick the eggs up and not deal with shipping. Is there anyone in the Elverson/Morgantown/Pottstown, Pennsylvania area that I could hook up with for this?

I would prefer colored egg layers (green, blue, brown, speckled) as I intend to adopt a number of the chicks for my own flock. Interesting barnyard mixes would be fine too. These don't need to be purebreeds.

Let me know how much you would want for the eggs as well.

Thanks!

Hi there, we are not anywhere near you sadly or I would gladly donate some of our fertile eggs. Have you tried your local craigslist? You may have better luck there. Hope you find some!

Craigslist is a great idea!
Also, locally sold eggs for eating are often fertile. If you run across eggs for sale (Craigslist, or in a cooler by the side of the road) crack some open to check the fertility rate, then buy as many or more than you need. If you talk to the owner, you can find out how old the eggs are and if they've been refrigerated, or even request unrefrigerated eggs.

edited to add: I didn't mean to imply that you should crack the eggs open before buying them. Rather, buy a dozen, crack some open, then buy more if they're fertile. :)

edited again to add: I put two of these roadside-sale eggs -- the blue-green ones in the dozen -- under a broody hen. They were one day old and unrefrigerated until they went into the cooler. There they sat next to a block of ice for several hours and were very cold when I bought them. Both were viable.

Last edited:
Go to the Amish, close to you. You can get buffs, production reds, RIR, for about 2$. Just make sure you tell them you want fresh, laid today eggs.

Sally, We really aren't far from there. Morgantown to the turnpike is just about an hour. Critter, would you be willing to come part way?
I know, but I havent gotten an egg out of all these new chickens yet!!! ugggggg I just added a light in the coop for 16 hrs light~! I had to give all my bantams to the farmer down the road at frystown when we moved !!

Hey thanks for all the help folks!

I am actually heading out to pick up a couple pullets to replace some of ours that were killed in a fox attack last week :( The woman I am picking the birds up from said that she should be able to come up with hatching eggs in a few months as well :) So I think I am covered.

Of course they are an hour away too, so if someone is even *closer* to Morgantown, that'd be awesome. But I do have a source for the eggs at least :)

I will wander over to the PA thread now...

Back
Top Bottom