3 duckling pipped

Jessduck

Chirping
Apr 8, 2020
Wisconsin
So I went on vacation and asked someone to look over my flock knowing I may have ducklings soon. Well I came home late last night and this morning I woke up two four fluffy yellow ducklings. After work I went to check the nest and there are 3 pipped. Unknown when it happened But the mother has given up sitting on the nest. I moved all the cold eggs and put a heat lamp over the pipped ones. When do I know if or when I should assist since the mom isn’t sitting on the nest anymore? I hear chirping coming from one for sure.

Attachments

• 1C2329C0-523D-4264-A05F-7D1AAC9C1802.jpeg
    1C2329C0-523D-4264-A05F-7D1AAC9C1802.jpeg
    633 KB · Views: 8
  • EF26F5DA-5B1C-4421-8E66-869AFC96420F.jpeg
    EF26F5DA-5B1C-4421-8E66-869AFC96420F.jpeg
    263.6 KB · Views: 6
Do you hear them chirping moving they need moisture heat is good but moisture That's the only way they're going to be able to get out of their shells so if you can get a lot of warm wet paper towels put them all around the eggs they need the moisture I'm going to try to find somebody to help you because they might get dried up inside if they don't have humidity but I'm not a duck person I just do chickens so let me try to get someone to help you.

Make sure the temperature is right (98-99 Fahrenheit for hatching) and the humidity is high. If they seem to be doing all right, I think you could give them a chance to hatch by themselves and not assist immediately. When is the earliest they could have pipped?

For the one that has hatched, I'd try reintroducing it during the evening so you can slip it under her among the other ones and she's less likely to notice, but keep a close eye on it as ducks can sometimes kill strange ducklings. It might also be best to wait until it's dried out and fluffy. If she doesn't accept it, you may have to brood it yourself.

So I went on vacation and asked someone to look over my flock knowing I may have ducklings soon. Well I came home late last night and this morning I woke up two four fluffy yellow ducklings. After work I went to check the nest and there are 3 pipped. Unknown when it happened But the mother has given up sitting on the nest. I moved all the cold eggs and put a heat lamp over the pipped ones. When do I know if or when I should assist since the mom isn’t sitting on the nest anymore? I hear chirping coming from one for sure.
Did you make these holes in the eggs?

Make sure the temperature is right (98-99 Fahrenheit for hatching) and the humidity is high. If they seem to be doing all right, I think you could give them a chance to hatch by themselves and not assist immediately. When is the earliest they could have pipped?

For the one that has hatched, I'd try reintroducing it during the evening so you can slip it under her among the other ones and she's less likely to notice, but keep a close eye on it as ducks can sometimes kill strange ducklings. It might also be best to wait until it's dried out and fluffy. If she doesn't accept it, you may have to brood it yourself.
So the pipped ducklings didn’t make it unfortunately but the hatched duckling seems to be doing okay. I have her in a tub under a heating lamp. I was thinking about waiting until around 8:30 tonight when she’s 24 hrs old to maybe slip it in with the others. Thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom