3 ducks sat in 1 nest

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Equimby88, Jun 4, 2019.

1. Equimby88

Equimby88 Chirping

Jun 10, 2018
    So.. one of my Cayuga ducks went broody about a week ago. I was unsure if I should seperate her from the rest but one of my allotment pals said to just leave her were she was.. then a few days later another started to sit with her and refused to move and now a few days later again a 3rd has joined them. I managed to count about 20 eggs under them. Would it be best to try and seperate them all and decide the eggs between them or just leave them all to sit on one big nest. They all seem happy sat together but I don't want any fighting over ducklings once they hatch.

Attached Files:

2. Magnolia Ducks

Magnolia Ducks Crowing

Jan 24, 2018
    Magnolia, TX
    I don't have any advice for you, the experts will be along shortly, but this is so very cute.:love

3. Equimby88

Equimby88 Chirping

Jun 10, 2018
    All my birds have gone broody all of a sudden. Iv got 3 broody hens 3 broody cayugas and 2 broody geese. We're guna be over run with babies haha I can't wait. My incubators are all full too.

4. Magnolia Ducks

Magnolia Ducks Crowing

Jan 24, 2018
    Magnolia, TX
    I am very jealous

5. Equimby88

Equimby88 Chirping

Jun 10, 2018
    I will update with pics when the fun begins. One of my hens are due to hatch today ☺

6. the cluck juggler

the cluck juggler Incubator Addict

Jun 12, 2017
    Scandinavia
    I've had exactly the same, 3 broody ducks on the same eggs. Unfortunately for me and them, it ended with disaster due to the cramped space they made their nest in. Yours look to be bigger so they won't step on the eggs and ducklings. Best to leave them to joint custody. Removing some of them now and you'll have some angry mommas!

DSC_0015_mod.jpg

7. Equimby88

Equimby88 Chirping

Jun 10, 2018
    Aww.. I didn't even think about them crushing the eggs or ducklings. The are is quite big it's in their main shed but in a metal basket. Maybe I should just keep my eye on them towards the end.

8. Trimurtisan

Trimurtisan Team flappy foot

May 22, 2019
    A cypress swamp in FL
    I don't have any experience here, but I personally think it's pretty neat. I'd love to hear how it goes for them. Your gonna be a busy momma (or poppa) soon.
    :woot

quackiemama and Equimby88 like this.
  9. Equimby88

Equimby88 Chirping

Jun 10, 2018
    It really is all go.. I have an incubator full ready to hatch in the next few days.. number 1 just made it's arrival.. then my 2nd incubator is full due to hatch in about 2 weeks. 3 broody hens one lot hatching right now as we speak another due to hatch in a few weeks and then the 3rd is sat on runner eggs only just so 4 weeks on them. Then there my 3 Cayuga lady's sharing their nest.. iv just had to break my geese from being broody as only 1 egg has hatched and the rest are a week late.

Attached Files:

10. Equimby88

Equimby88 Chirping

Jun 10, 2018
    And also litters of giant rabbits haha. One lot is 4 weeks old and there's another due to be born on the 19th

Attached Files:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: