3 ee's & a silver laced wyandotte: what gender?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by lothefarmer, Oct 18, 2010.

1. lothefarmer

lothefarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    CA
    i have 3 unsexed ee's and 1 sexed as pullet slw (who i posted a topic about last week, but now we have an update.. pink wattles!?)

the ee's are siblings, but two are much larger than the other, which makes me think that one is either runty or the sole female.
    and the larger two are bullies, constantly picking fights with everyone else... they act very roo-ish.
    the smaller one is picking up this sort of behavior, but i think it is just learning it from its siblings.

here's big guy #1: arwing
    [​IMG]

and big guy #2: rabbit
    [​IMG]

and the little one: tat (she is literally about half their size)
    [​IMG]

OK, and the wyandotte...
    i was told she was a pullet on here not too long ago,
    (see here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=408765)
    but
    these wattles are really scaring me!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 18, 2010
  2. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    Too early to tell.

Both my SL and GL wyandottes got pink in the wattles early but not RED and it didn't GROW until they got older. Both girls.

3. txcarl1258

txcarl1258 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2010
    Pleasanton
    I can guarantee the top EE is a pullet, based on her color. The other three I am not 100% sure, it is a little early to tell. EEs can be difficult to sex. Post some more pics in a few weeks and we could probably give you a better idea.

4. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    your SLW is a roo-Ive been hatching and getting W's all Spring and Summer-your EE's are just too early to tell:-( Sorry

5. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    EE # 2 looks like the only possible boy, but I'd need to see its comb.

6. lothefarmer

Oct 9, 2010
    CA
    Quote:really? by her color? how? i'm really curious, because i had no idea you could sex ee's by color ! and i will :)

7. lothefarmer

Oct 9, 2010
    CA
    Quote:well, they don't seem to be growing at all. the wattles just appeared and the comb has stayed the same size. hopefully she's a girl. i only bought one, and i love silver laced birds!

8. justmeandtheflock

justmeandtheflock Overrun with ducklings :)

May 27, 2009
    NW NJ
    # 1 looks like a girl and I'm guessing #2 and #3 will turn out to be boys if they have the same parents and are the same age as #1 but time will tell. I don't have any experience with SWL but I think that is a little roo.

9. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Are you positive Tat has the same parents as the other two? Her legs are pink! All my half ee chicks that have one green legged parent get green legs, could she have a different daddy?

No 1 is a girl, that brown color is a hen color. Roos are flashier to attract the ladies [​IMG]

The second one could be either, I think, color-wise. It just looks girly to me, but maybe the legs are a little thick? Hard to tell.

No 3 just looks like a girl to me, no specifics I can give you.

You can't sex all ee's by color, but the brown of your first is a hen color. If they're tri-colored with red on their body is generally a boy, just some loose guidelines.

10. lothefarmer

Oct 9, 2010
    CA
    Quote:i am not sure, actually... i got them from a breeder, but she seems very disorganized, so she probably has no idea either. i don't know what each of their daddys is.. i assumed they all had the same mom though.

thanks for the info! it's really helpful :) and yea, tat just strikes me as a little girl.. can't say why.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by