3 ee's & a silver laced wyandotte: what gender?

lothefarmer

Chirping
9 Years
Oct 9, 2010
CA
i have 3 unsexed ee's and 1 sexed as pullet slw (who i posted a topic about last week, but now we have an update.. pink wattles!?)

the ee's are siblings, but two are much larger than the other, which makes me think that one is either runty or the sole female.
and the larger two are bullies, constantly picking fights with everyone else... they act very roo-ish.
the smaller one is picking up this sort of behavior, but i think it is just learning it from its siblings.

here's big guy #1: arwing
2nqw7ep.jpg

and big guy #2: rabbit
2wf49co.jpg

and the little one: tat (she is literally about half their size)
2rc6gxe.jpg

OK, and the wyandotte...
i was told she was a pullet on here not too long ago,
(see here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=408765)
but
these wattles are really scaring me!

972o00.jpg

Last edited:
I can guarantee the top EE is a pullet, based on her color. The other three I am not 100% sure, it is a little early to tell. EEs can be difficult to sex. Post some more pics in a few weeks and we could probably give you a better idea.

your SLW is a roo-Ive been hatching and getting W's all Spring and Summer-your EE's are just too early to tell:-( Sorry

Quote:
really? by her color? how? i'm really curious, because i had no idea you could sex ee's by color ! and i will :)

Quote:
well, they don't seem to be growing at all. the wattles just appeared and the comb has stayed the same size. hopefully she's a girl. i only bought one, and i love silver laced birds!

# 1 looks like a girl and I'm guessing #2 and #3 will turn out to be boys if they have the same parents and are the same age as #1 but time will tell. I don't have any experience with SWL but I think that is a little roo.

Are you positive Tat has the same parents as the other two? Her legs are pink! All my half ee chicks that have one green legged parent get green legs, could she have a different daddy?

No 1 is a girl, that brown color is a hen color. Roos are flashier to attract the ladies
wink.png

The second one could be either, I think, color-wise. It just looks girly to me, but maybe the legs are a little thick? Hard to tell.

No 3 just looks like a girl to me, no specifics I can give you.

You can't sex all ee's by color, but the brown of your first is a hen color. If they're tri-colored with red on their body is generally a boy, just some loose guidelines.

Quote:
i am not sure, actually... i got them from a breeder, but she seems very disorganized, so she probably has no idea either. i don't know what each of their daddys is.. i assumed they all had the same mom though.

thanks for the info! it's really helpful :) and yea, tat just strikes me as a little girl.. can't say why.

Back
Top Bottom