3 eggs hatched. . .now what?!!

Jeepgirl

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 18, 2013
I have a hen that's been sitting on everyone else's eggs. Today 3 babies hatched.
big_smile.png
This is my first time with chicks from my own hens. I put them in a separate box with heat lamp & food & water just like I did when I got my first chicks.

My rooster and my hens are HORRIBLE to each other and peck each other open, so I assumed they would do the same to the babies. Is this a safe assumption? Should I raise them separately and then reintroduce them when they're older? Any advice would be great. I'm so excited!!!! There's about 10 more eggs to go. . . I don't have space for that many chicks, but I hope a few more hatch over the next few days.

The eggs were laid over about a week long period. How long before I can collect the eggs and dispose of those that didn't hatch?

And can anyone tell me how to sex chicks? I now have buff orpington x EE cross, Americauna x EE cross, and possibly barred rock x EE cross. . .

Look up feather sexing its not 100% but you may have some idea.. I would personally separate them just in case. You should give 5days from when the first one hatches then dispose of the rest that didn't hatch.

A hen will protect her chicks ,they are better integrated if a hen raises them with the flock.
How big is the pen they are kept in?

My coop is pretty small, but they only go in at night. (they free range my yard all day) The coop can fit 10 chickens probably. I'm currently at 5, but with these chicks I'll be at 8. . .

And my rooster and other hens nearly killed my favorite hen a month ago by pecking her completely open and bald. So i'm worried about these chicks and really think they would be better with getting integrated later? I feel like the bullies would kill them immediately.

My coop is pretty small, but they only go in at night. (they free range my yard all day) The coop can fit 10 chickens probably. I'm currently at 5, but with these chicks I'll be at 8. . .

And my rooster and other hens nearly killed my favorite hen a month ago by pecking her completely open and bald. So i'm worried about these chicks and really think they would be better with getting integrated later? I feel like the bullies would kill them immediately.
They will be integrated by the hen ,if you take them away they will take sometimes weeks to be integrated and if the flock is as bad as you say it could get rough.

I dont have a separate place to keep the bullies. I have multiple meanies. Although, if they are small right now (a day old), is it too late to put them back with the mean momma?

I personally would put them back with the broody, how high is she in the pecking order? Most hens wont mess with a broody momma protecting her babies!

Back
Top Bottom