1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

3 eggs in one day?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ShaylaMyst, Dec 25, 2009.

1. ShaylaMyst

ShaylaMyst New Egg

Jun 23, 2009
    My Ameraucana just laid 3 eggs and one is a double yolk! I went in to check on the girls this morning around 7:30 and she had laid 1 egg in a "nest" on the floor (I have several inches of straw in there). She was still fluffing up and moving straw around, but I needed to leave. When I got back, there were two more eggs in her "nest". She won't use the nesting box and I think it's because the 2 RIRs are a bit aggressive about it, so we check the floor carefully. She hasn't laid any eggs in over a week and I figured it was just because it is winter and she's a different breed. All 3 eggs have a good shell and don't seem to be misshapen or anything like that.

Can anyone tell me why she's doing this?

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Never heard of it.

3. ShaylaMyst

ShaylaMyst New Egg

Jun 23, 2009
    Thank you for replying. I'd never heard of it either and was really hoping for some insight on why this is happening.

Hopefully someone will be able to tell me something helpful.

4. photo chick

photo chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Essex, VT
    We have a hen that frequently lays 2 eggs a day. She sits on them all day, we have to move her to get them. She's the one that laid a double yolk egg too! Strangest egg I'd ever seen, so long but it sure was yummy!

5. roocrazy

roocrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2009
    minnesota!!!!
    absolutly impossible for a hen to lay 2 eggs per day it takes at least 24 hours for the egg to develop [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 26, 2009
  6. photo chick

photo chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Essex, VT
    Quote:Hmmm...not sure how to explain 3 eggs in the nesting box when there were none at the beginning of the day. We only have 2 chickens.

7. ShaylaMyst

ShaylaMyst New Egg

Jun 23, 2009
    Quote:Well, I guess I've stepped into the Twilight Zone because there were 3 eggs in a spot that had 0 the night before.

I already know that it takes 24-26 hours for an egg to develop, my question to this forum was - why did she lay 3 in one day? I would like to know if there is something wrong that I should be checking her for.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2009
  8. roocrazy

Jun 11, 2009
    minnesota!!!!
    Quote:Well, I guess I've stepped into the Twilight Zone because there were 3 eggs in a spot that had 0 the night before.

I already know that it takes 24-26 hours for an egg to develop, my question to this forum was - why did she lay 3 in one day? I would like to know if there is something wrong that I should be checking her for.

well she could be internally laying the eggs and then they come out later

9. roocrazy

Jun 11, 2009
    minnesota!!!!
    Quote:Hmmm...not sure how to explain 3 eggs in the nesting box when there were none at the beginning of the day. We only have 2 chickens.

well you dont have to be all offensive about it
    im just saying its impossible unless your chicken has something wrong with it or...
    you should be a million air

10. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I've never seen more than one in a day it but will give some possible thoughts. I don't know how possible they are in your circumstances.

1. The others are laying with her in her nest on the floor.

2. She was egg bound and became unstuck. The other eggs built up inside then all came out.

3. It takes about 25 hours for the egg to make it through the hen's egg laying factory. Some hens seem to lay about the same time every day, in which case the egg has to start it's journey before the first egg is laid. Some hens seem to lay about any time during the day so there may not be a trigger to start the next egg immediately after the first egg is laid. Most hens occasionally skip a day so there is not necessarily a trigger to start the next egg immediately after the other is laid. Otherwise there would be eggs under the roost many mornings. With all this said, maybe her internal egg laying factory is messing up and she is shooting out several eggs in a day. You did say she had gone several days without laying. This sounds very unhealthy.

4. You did not find the eggs the other days. They were down in the hay and you just did not see them. I have had them hide the eggs this way.

If I had to bet, I'd bet a lot of your money and maybe a little of mine on number 4.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by