1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

3 eggs in one day?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sittychick, Sep 19, 2012.

1. sittychick

sittychick Out Of The Brooder

Mar 9, 2012
    Lynnwood, WA
    My Coop
    3 eggs in one day? Is this ok or should I worry?

My 5 month old Barnevelder "Tilly" layed an egg for the first time today. Yeah! but then about 6 hours later she layed another egg, soft shelled, while she was out ranging in the yard. Then about 30 min. later she layed a yolk, again out ranging in the yard. After that she was walking around with her tail tucked down. She's acting normal besides the tail tucking. She went to bed fine and I'm going to watch her tommorrow but was wondering if I should worry. This is my first time raising chickens and I've gotten quite attached!

2. thebanthams

thebanthams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    Are you sure shes the only one? It can happen , but 3 eggs? I dont think so..

3. sittychick

Mar 9, 2012
    Lynnwood, WA
    My Coop
    Yes, I am sure. 2 I witnessed and the 3rd she was the only one around. They were each at a different stage of development. Can chickens get backed up? She had been showing signs of wanting to lay for a few days. Maybe she was past due?

4. thebanthams

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    As long she looks healthy, lucky her !

5. sittychick

Mar 9, 2012
    Lynnwood, WA
    My Coop
    So I just wanted to follow up and let anyone interested know what ended up happening. Hopefully this will help someone some day.

Tilly, after laying 3 eggs in one day (not all solid) skipped laying for 2 days and then started laying pretty regularly 3-4 times a week. Her eggs were on the small side an then after 3 weeks (beginging of Oct.) she stopped laying and wasn't acting quite herself. Then she started molting. I've heard most chickens don't molt their first year, our other 2 aren't molting and still laying. Tilly is almost done with her molt and is acting herself again. I'm guessing she won't lay again until spring. Hopefully all this will be past her then and she'll get off to a better start the 2nd time around. She is our shyest bird and bottom in the pecking order, although all our girls get along nicely.

Owning Chickens sure is a learning experience. I love every minute of it!

6. thebanthams

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    I have a silkie that lays two eggs three days in a row! She started after her babie chickies were 3 weeks old!

7. sittychick

Mar 9, 2012
    Lynnwood, WA
    My Coop
    Oh my. That sound like one of those special exceptions. What fun. I think mine was just off to a rocky start.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by