3 eggs in one day?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mipsy6, Jul 14, 2008.

1. mipsy6

mipsy6 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    I have a 5 month old RIR pullet who has been laying regularly for a few weeks now. Today, she layed 3 eggs! But none were really full eggs.

First, I found a broken soft-shell egg inside the coop in the morning.

Then, when I got home from work, I found a crushed egg under her in the nesting box, where she was sitting.

I took her out of the box to clean it, and she laid another soft shell egg while she was out free ranging. This one had a weird little "tail" on the end.

Has anyone ever seen this before? Should I be worried? Is she just going through something weird.

I feed her layer feed, and this morning she had some sunflower seeds as well.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2008
  2. AngelzFyre

AngelzFyre Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2007
    Pell City, Alabama
    Make sure you have some extra calcium available for her, usually oyster shell fed free choice or aragonite flour fed free choice.
    Layer feed has some calcium but not enough for most layers.
    [​IMG]

3. mipsy6

mipsy6 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    I gave her some egg shells (baked first) this morning as well. So I think she's good with calcium. I'm more concerned about the 3 egg attempts in one day. Has anyone else had this happen? Is it common?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by