3 eggs on day 22...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Rlmp817, Oct 13, 2019.

1. Rlmp817

Rlmp817 Songster

Mar 24, 2018
    Atascadero, CA
    I bought a dozen bantam cochin eggs, received 26 from the breeder, but most did not develop. Only 6 were viable. I had good temp & humidity levels all through the incubation period.
    3 eggs hatched on days 17, 19 & 20. Than nothing we are on day 22, occasionally I hear little cheepy noises, but I can't tell from which eggs as the incubator fan is so loud.
    How long should I let them go?
    Should I pull them out and quickly candle?
    Obviously I am VERY disappointed in the hatch rate, but the lady did state she thought the viability was would be low due to moult and season.
    IMG_20191009_192657.jpg here is onte of the hatchlings, so cute!

WVduckchick and BirdsBeesTrees like this.
  2. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Free Ranging

Wow, that's pretty staggered. Were they shipped eggs?

Yes, I would candle.

Cute baby! :love

:fl:jumpy:jumpy

3. Rlmp817

Rlmp817 Songster

Mar 24, 2018
    Atascadero, CA
    No, I picked them up at her house, but I don't know how long she was collecting before I picked them up.
    OK, I will candle them tonight and see what going on in there.

4. Rlmp817

Rlmp817 Songster

Mar 24, 2018
    Atascadero, CA
    @EggSighted4Life, when I candle them, would I see a blood ring if they died prior to hatch? Or am I just looking for movement?

WVduckchick likes this.
  5. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Free Ranging

No, this late in the game you will not see a blood ring. Any movement would be good.

If you can still see veins they might still be alive. I guess I am looking to see a beak in the air cell, listening for any chirping.. this is ducks since that was all I could find. By the time it looks like day 28 in these pics... the chick is either ready to hatch or passed.. see how the veins have withdrawn?
    [​IMG]
    Since my eggs are often entirely too dark to see through... candling is not one of my strong suits.

Eggs that have gone past their time frame here.. when I open them they are often shrunken inside... or kinda dehydrated essentially. So keeping humidity high is probably good.

Are you able to post pics of your candling? I know some people will make a hole at the cell end or assist in hatching. That's not me. But maybe @WVduckchick will have some more helpful input for you! :fl

WVduckchick likes this.
  6. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For The Birds!

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    By now, if they are going to hatch, you should see draw down of the air cell, at least. The chirping one should be visible in the air cell. If you see any clear fluid up around the membrane, next to the air cell, they have probably quit. Also if you hold them really still, in your palm, you might feel movement.

Here is an internal pip, and sorta what the chirping one should look like.

And here is drawdown, before internal pip:
    Notice how the air cell is not shaped how it was during the beginning of incubation.
    WP_20180330_21_26_50_Pro.jpg

EggSighted4Life likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: