$3 for full grown Cornish Rocks???

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by little_grey_bantam, Jan 26, 2010.

1. little_grey_bantam

little_grey_bantam Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Russell County
    Sounds pretty goods, they're all ready full grown and ready for butcher. Is $3 each a good price? There are 30 of them!
    I could fill up the freezer without raising them! [​IMG]

2. Cornychick

Cornychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    Sebastian County, AR
    Good grief! I would definately think so.......are you set up to process?

3. kooltex

kooltex Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2009
    NE Tx
    Wow, thats a steal. Hmmmm....makes ya wonder why so cheap?

4. rhoda_bruce

rhoda_bruce Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Cut Off, LA
    I got some free, but only 5. They were given to my dad and he didn't want to deal with it, so he brought them over. The reason I got them is because someone, who can't say,"No" to their children, allowed their kids to enter the 4H broiler contest and when it was over, they had these big hungry birds and didn't know what to do with them, so Dad got the call.
    They are all gone now, but I'm told I will probably be getting the rest very soon. I hope he gets another call soon, because I don't want them to be too old.
    I feel that you will get your 90 dollars worth. In my case, it was someone that bit off more than they could chew. They think they will allow their kids to do something and have intentions of cleaning and cooking the birds, but when they actually see the big ole chicken, they can't bring themselves to do the deed.

5. little_grey_bantam

Mar 29, 2009
    Russell County
    Quote:Their reasoning was that they had already butchered 90 of them the week before and filled up their freezer. I think they just purchased too many [​IMG] trying to get rid of the rest... Mmmm... tasty... cheapo chickens! They look pretty good!

I could be ready to process, but I don't know have enough freezer space!!!

6. rhoda_bruce

Aug 19, 2009
    Cut Off, LA
    maybe its time for you to locate all your ice chests from the shed and wash them out.....drag them in the kitchen or wherever you have your freezer and start organizing and defrosting and putting everything in order. Everytime I do that, I feel rich, because I find out I had things that I completely forgot about.
    It usually stops me from needing to make big grocery bills for a while, and I have lots of room for freezer camp.

7. TimG

TimG Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    Maine
    A few days before I had my chickens processed last fall, I drove past an old freezer with a "FREE" sign on it in someone's front yard. I turned around! The owner said it worked. It's been doing a great job keeping chickens and blueberries frozen this winter. Don't know where I would have put my meat birds if it weren't for that freezer.

8. rhoda_bruce

Aug 19, 2009
    Cut Off, LA
    I know it said,"Free", but that deserves at least a prayer when you think about it. That was a blessing. But you know, I'm from the bottom of this country and it gets to 100 degrees in the summer and we usually have mild winters with only an occasional hard freeze. This is maybe dumb, but I wonder if you really had to, if you could use a safe container or even a broken freezer and keep it on the north side of your house for winter.....you know.....just for emergencies, like an unexpected large amount of food or a suddenly broken freezer. It must get pretty cold at your home in the winter.

9. TimG

TimG Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    Maine
    Not sure about a prayer, but it does give one an appreciation of the wonders of community and the world in general. My mother would (did) tell me that my guardian angel was looking out for me, but I don't believe in that.

I'm sure an insulated chest in the barn would be good for weeks during the winter, especially if it was full -- mass is a good thing in a freezer.

There are still a few ice houses around here. The ice keeps well into summer, probably until the next winter, if packed properly.

10. little_grey_bantam

Mar 29, 2009
    Russell County
    Quote:Our freezer is full of frozen mice to feed to snakes [​IMG]
    The other freezer was just cleaned out... pure Elk Meat...
    Somewhere is another freezer... off limited, father dearest is irritated we have 1) freezer full of mice, and 2) freezer full of elk meat LOL

HAHAHAHAHAHAH
    And we did clean our other freezer out... it's still full! We just filled it up with strawberries LOL this summer [​IMG] which we're still enjoying <3 mmPr

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by