3 French Black Copper Marans cockerels breeders culls- Show lines- for home flock/ dark egg layers/

Discussion in 'Chickens 8 Weeks & Older' started by One Chick Two, Aug 16, 2014.

1. One Chick Two

One Chick Two Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2013
    We have three gorgeous 3 MO French Black Copper Marans cockerels available for a new forever home from Napa, California. Ideally, someone who desires a sweet cockerel for home flock of dark egg layers, or, for olive eggers, these lovely guys would not be recommended for breeding BCM professionally, or showing as they have a very tiny comb sprig on one side. (I know, it's heartbreaking when they look this nice at this age.) One or all three cockerels, $25. each.[​IMG]

We are in our F1 foundation line phase, breeding toward SOP and dark egg layers. These birds parents originate from the Smallbrook line, and her other birds in her line have placed well at shows this year. She'd worked with them 5 years. All three cockerels come from brown, Marans level. 6 egg. (the hen is an extremely good layer of usually between 6, occasionally 5, EX- L brownish eggs.)

The father and mother are both extremely good-natured birds, and all of the boys are mellow, shy but sweet, and will happily eat apples and treats from your hand. Both Dad and Mom are large, wide birds with good weight and excellent type. Dad is well balanced in his coloring, and Mom is black and pretty, with great eyes.

All of these boys have excellent type. They have great weight, size and width for their age at just 3 months old, and the copper and coloring is showing up very well. The medium slate grey shanks and outer toe is well-feathered all the way to the end of toe as it should be. (I think one boy may have one or two MINOR small middle toe feather stubs/small feathers.) Some have some upper chest copper leakage, but not excessively, and in an acceptable amount.

They have a superb smaller tail size, and very desirable low tail angle. They all have handsome faces, a great shape head, and their eyes are starting to change color now toward vibrant reddish bay, like Dad. They feathered in, put on weight and are changing eye color earlier than many lines do.

The tiny comb sprig (like a tiny mole) which makes them automatically DQ from a show ring. They may have one or so more comb blade serrations, but the combs are, otherwise nice looking, and not otherwise bad actually. We've not seen any white feathers in the parents- nor the sons or daughters (however, could be possible), but the father does have light gray underfluff in a few spots.

All three cockerels look pretty similar, which is always a great sign. Hopefully, I have the correct face and bodies together. If none of these three lovely boys had comb sprigs, you can bet I would wouldn't be letting them go!!! I will show you photos of the typical egg color, what the chicks looked like, and what the parents look like.

We will consider meeting in nearby counties for pickup.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 17, 2014
  2. One Chick Two

Jun 13, 2013
    Here are photos of the parents:

Here's dad- good type. His hackle has a slight ticking, but it does not seem to have been passed to any of the children.

[​IMG]

He has a nicely rounded chest.

s:[​IMG]

3. One Chick Two

Jun 13, 2013
    [​IMG]

Here's Mom:

[​IMG]

She's right next to Dad on the right. She looks small next to the huge hen, but she's a good size, solid, with a terrific rounded chest and nice tail, and has full leg feathers down her outer toe as well. Neither Dad or Mom shows any sprigs. If I can find a full length of her I'll post it.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2014
  4. One Chick Two

Jun 13, 2013
    Here's one of these three cockerels when he was a chick. This is next to his broken eggshell. It's less red, more brown.
    [​IMG]

Second row on the right with the glossy brown eggs are Mom's eggs.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by