3 gender and one breed need help?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by meNmypeepRs, Aug 29, 2010.

1. meNmypeepRs

meNmypeepRs New Egg

Aug 29, 2010
    Hi I'm a newbie to raising chickens even though I was raised with them just didn't pay much attention except for gathering eggs. I bought 6 chicks from our large local feed/tack/everything store (Big R). I was told when I purchased them they were all sexed and had a 99% chance of getting pullets. I even had the gal that ran the department tell me which would be good producers and had her pick them out. I bought 2 Australorps, 2 Americaunas (wanted green egs), and 2 sexlinks. So I know the sexlinks are pullets.
    I've been questioning the genders of the Australorps and one of the Americaunas. Plus the other Americauna am not sure if that is what she is at all?
    I called Big R complaining since they pretty much guaranteed I'd have pullets and what are the odds of getting two possibly three Roos out of six supposed sexed chicks![​IMG] Needless to say the lady was rude and said it is my problem that she has bought over a hundred chicks with only one roo and I should put them on craigslist. So if indeed I have more than one roo I will be taking them back demanding money back for purchase price and what I've put into them feedwise over the past 5 to 6 months.
    She better hope the questionable pullet is an Americauna or I'll really be mad since she picked it out and they were all in seperate containers.
    So here they are what do you think?

On a good note we FINALLY got an egg out of one of the sex links.... Yayyyyyyyyyyy

[​IMG]
    My America pullet or roo
    [​IMG]
    Australorp pullet or roo
    [​IMG]
    Another pic of above australorp
    [​IMG]
    amer. from behind
    [​IMG]
    Aust. pullet?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Guess which one is first egg? lol
    What is this pullet?

[​IMG]
    Another pic of questionable pullet

2. Muggsmagee

Muggsmagee Menagerie Mama

Dec 15, 2009
    Central NY
    A few questions...what's My America? The name of your bird?

All look like pullets/hens!!!

Pic 1...looks like a Black Copper Marans hen

Pic 2/3...Australorp pullet

Pic 4...looks like another BCM pullet

Pic 5....Australorp pullet

Pic 6....looks like a White Ameraucana or possibly an EE...pullet

Pic 7...what's the ?

Pic 8....same as # 6...pullet

3. bmax

bmax Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2010
    Conway, AR
    No idea but they are beautiful!

4. meNmypeepRs

meNmypeepRs New Egg

Aug 29, 2010
    Muggsmagee----I'm sorry if I confused you:) The first and fourth pics are of what is supposed to be an Americauna pullet. And the white pullet is supposed to be Americauna also. They came from the same enclosure and were labled Americaunas. But as you can see they look totally different from each other. I've never heard of a BCM will have to check it out.
    Boy I'm relieved it indeed they are all pullets and glad I didn't rush in demanding a refund!

Thank you!

5. vicki2x2

vicki2x2 Super Chick

Feb 9, 2008
    Central Michigan
    Here is the problem with buying them at feed stores. Most of the time, the feed store employees have no idea what they are talking about and even if they do, the chicks get mixed up by the customers in the bins. So the all pullet bin gets a few st. run chicks dropped in it by people who want to hold them, then just stick them in the nearest tank when they are done. Also, no feed store or hatchery sells aracuanas or ameracanas they all sell easter eggers, they just call them that. Easter eggers are fine, but one thing about them is, they come in any and all color combinations because they can be mixed with anything. So they don't necessarily look the same. That said, you first chicken is a black sex link, no an EE. The white one is an EE. I highly doubt you got a BCM at a feed store either. I do agree though, they all look like pullets.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2010
  6. Muggsmagee

Dec 15, 2009
    Central NY
    Quote:I'm going to make it my mission to inform everyone on Ameraucanas. [​IMG] When you get the chance, check out the Ameraucana.org website.

Black Copper Marans lay a wonderfully DARK reddish brown egg. Wait till your girls start laying! If your white Ameraucana isn't a purebreed, but an EE (Easter Egger), you are still going to have a colorful egg basket with blue eggs! These are 2 of the egg colors that are currently sought after by most backyard chicken farmers! Congrats...they are all beautiful birds.

7. cubalaya

cubalaya Overrun With Chickens

Nov 19, 2008
    central virginia
    black sex links, black australorp, and easter egger/ameraucana

8. Muggsmagee

Dec 15, 2009
    Central NY
    Quote:cubalaya...you might be right on the Black Sex Link!!! They look so similar to my BCM pullets. Hmmm. I might take a picture for a side x side comparison.

9. justtoni44

justtoni44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    oregon
    i didn't know sexlinks could have copper necks.
    Looks just like my black copper marans??????????

10. eggseroneous

eggseroneous Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2010
    South-Western PA
    you have black sex links (which CAN have coppery necks) , australorp and easter eggers. When the hatcheries sex the birds, it is not 100%( as an actual person sexes the birds and people are not 100% mistake proof. It is a dying art and very difficult to do.) and the feed store people usually have no clue, customers pick them up and put them back in the wrong bin, etc... so it's a gamble buying chicks. But I think you got lucky and have all pullets.

Believe me, I don't think you want to get the whole "Ameraucana/ Easter egger" debate started, as it is a VERY touchy subject. But the truth is, these are hatchery chicks, so they are NOT Ameraucana, but easter eggers, which is A-OK because they are for pretty eggs in the backyard and not for showing. It's like beating a dead horse...... Anyway they will lay pretty greenish, blueish or pinkish eggs. EE's have pea combs (as your white one has). That first bird has a single comb--first giveaway.

Ok your pictures are:
    1. Sexlink
    2. Australorp
    3. Australorp
    4. Sexlink
    5.Australorp
    6. EE
    7. Pretty egg
    8. EE

You have a nice group of chicks! Have fun!! [​IMG]

Edited to add: Do you have pics of your two sexlinks to compare? I think I am changing my mind about pics 1 & 4. It just may be a BCM like others have said. Sexlinks can have coppery color on their necks but this one is extreme. Hatcheries do have Marans. Hmmmmmmmmmm.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by