3 Grain Chicken Scratch Corn Bread

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by TnTom, Dec 25, 2013.

1. TnTom

TnTom Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2010
    Woodbury Tn
    I buy my scratch from the local co-op or Hoopers Feed in town. With both I seem to always have excess waste. The 5 grain from the co-op I loose about 20% in Barley they ignore it totally so I scatter it and seed the driveway to keep the gravel in place during heavy rains so it not really wasted and the deer come to it. The 3 grain from Hoopers is a mixture of cracked corn, oats, and millet and they do better with it but I have another issue is the amount of meal that is never eaten it fine powder like. I sift it and retain the meal and have discovered something. sort of a brain storm or tomorrow I may discover it actually a brain fart, well see.

I took the meal and added flour, baking soda, salt, sugar, fresh ground tabasco peppers, milk egg and butter mixed it all together and baked it at 400 degrees. My plan is to feed it back to them but after tasting it they may have to fight me for it lol Its absolutely the best tasting corn bread I have ever had and the millet seed just makes it even tastier. What a discovery. I let you know what the chickens do with it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I don't think the oats make it thru the sifter so its more of a 2 grain corn and millet corn bread, YUMMMMM

2. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    I had the same problem with mine not liking the millet. Now I just buy the corn chops. Cheaper and they eat it all.

3. TnTom

TnTom Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2010
    Woodbury Tn
    what in the world are corn chops???

4. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    It's probably a regional thing but corn chops are small cracked corn like 1/8 kernel size. The same size you find in the scratch blends.

5. TnTom

TnTom Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2010
    Woodbury Tn
    got it! ya never heard that before thanks. Around her I usually hear it called cracked corn.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by