1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

3 growing backyard chicks in S. Florida!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by nancyroses, Nov 5, 2009.

1. nancyroses

nancyroses New Egg

Nov 5, 2009
    Hello!

My name is Nancy Rose and I am a senior in college right now. I live with two roommates and we have 3 chickens and a cat. Our cat is cautious around the chickens (he is mostly scared of them, we think). The first chicken (Moriah) we adopted when she was a chick, and she is now about 6 months old. We just recently adopted 2 young chickens(Penelope and Fanny) (about 16 weeks) from a friend of a friend that wanted to give them away (due to personal/financial reasons). We have a nice, homemade coop with a run in our fenced in backyard. Our back yard is pretty huge and has a TON of foliage. We have one HUGE oak tree (so big it shades most of our house as well as the entire back yard), one pretty big oak, and all sorts of trees/plants along the fence line (enough that it would be really difficult for a person to try to climb over the fence, and a chicken would have to be really scared to try and get through the branches/leaves). We always let the girls out in the morning and make sure they are safely in their coop before sunset (because that is when the opossums and raccoons come out). We compost in a pile in the backyard (vegan) and allow the girls to scratch and pick through the pile for insects/food scraps. We only know the breed of one of the chickens, Penelope is a black Cochin. We are currently feeding them both chick feed and transitioning to laying feed. We keep three big dishes with water in them in the back yard at all times. We don't need to mow back there because all of the oak leaves cover the ground pretty well. We rent, and our landlord is totally fine with us having chickens (up to 5 total), as long as we either a)find someone to rent when our lease is over that wants the chicken coop back there, or b) take the coop with us when we leave.

I am totally in love with our girls and can't help but want to go out and feed them by hand a few times a day and observe their funny tendencies all the time. I joined this community because of some strange behavior which I suppose I will mention here:

One of our new chickens, Fanny, is the dominant chicken out there right now. She is very protective of Penelope and doesn't seem to get along with our older chicken, Moriah, so well (though they get along way better now then at first). She recently has started making these sort-of stressed-sounding noises and seems to want to be around people all of the time. If she sees us inside the house (from outside), she will hop up on the windowsill or peck at the cat's catdoor (which leads to the backyard), and will sometimes try to follow us back into the house after we have been outside with her. The sounds are pretty constant when she can see us, but they seem to stop after she hasn't seen us for a while. Sounds are difficult to convey in text, but I will try. It is almost a low growl-type sound with a base rrrrrr sound. The best way I can try to spell the sound is like this "buck buck trrrrrrrt-t-rrrrrrr buck buck trrrrrr rrrrrrr". I sifted through the forum for a while and it mostly put me at ease that she isn't doing anything unusual (perhaps she is going to start laying soon or something), but I can't help but still be a little bit worried. I know she was raised with a dog and cats in a garage-type setting before we adopted her, in case that matters.

Thanks and I am excited to finally join this forum that I have been watching for months!

2. Enjaytoo

Enjaytoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2009
    Tempe
    [​IMG] Welcome to BYC from Arizona!! [​IMG]

3. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    [​IMG] from Lutz,FL

4. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    :yiipchickWelcome. Does she squat when she makes the noise? Might be an egg on the way, or she may just be happy to be with you. [​IMG]

5. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    She might be ready to lay soon with all that clucking. Maybe she just has really good bond with you too.

6. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Hi Nancy Rose! [​IMG] from S. Florida! Its great to have you here with us! Aren't chickens the greatest? Enjoy!

7. hen-thusiast

hen-thusiast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    Utah
    [​IMG] from UT!

8. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] Happy to meet you Nancy Rose! Glad you're here! [​IMG] Hope you enjoy your stay with us!! [​IMG]

Is this Fanny that's doing this? One of the newer ones? It does seem like she might be ready to lay, they get really funny sometimes when they're close, almost frantic for attention.

If it were Moriah, I'd say it's because she's more used to people being her 'flock mates' than those new funny feathered things.

9. DragonFeathers

DragonFeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2009
    Maryland
    [​IMG] from Maryland

10. fldiver97

fldiver97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    Middleton, WI
    [​IMG] from WI

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by