1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

3 have hatched!!!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by krstms, Mar 14, 2011.

1. krstms

krstms MO Hick Chick

Sep 23, 2009
    Missouri
    Three hatched. One drowned in the water. I was at work and my husband didnt put rocks in the waterer. It was a tiny quail waterer but still too big I guess. [​IMG] Please nobody be mean to me over it. I wouldnt have did it on purpose. I am very sad that I lost it. Other two are doing great. Havent noticed any more pips but am still hoping for more.

2. Kwartel

Kwartel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Oklahoma
    I'm glad that at least some are hatching for you. When I used an LG incubator I would usually get a few early hatchers and then a bunch on Day 18 and then a couple more in the next few days. The early and late hatchers were never very hardy.

I use the quail waterers without rocks in them and don't have any problems. If the chick managed to drown in it, it probably wasn't going to last long anyway, so don't be too hard on yourself or your husband.

3. mhwc56

mhwc56 Chillin' With My Peeps

were they "Button"Quail? i was astonished by how very tiny they are when they first hatch out ! I'm terribly sorry that you lost one !

4. krstms

krstms MO Hick Chick

Sep 23, 2009
    Missouri
    No, I think they are standard size right Kisa? They are tiny though. I can't imagine hatching buttons. THese are so little compared to chicken chicks. I think they are adorable. Any guess as to what they are? One is yellow with black stripes down it's back and one is brownish/reddish black with yellow face and belly. Hope I get more. I "think" I see another pip but it is very hard to tell with quail so I'm not sure. The baby that drowned was all yellow. He seemed healthy enough. I think I definitely have some temp issues with the LG. ONe of the two I have has curled toes so I put tape booties on him. He's walking right as of now. Anyone know how many days I should leave those on before his feet should be fixed? I will get pictures as soon as they are all done hatching. I am sooooo excited that I finally have quail babies. [​IMG]

5. Kwartel

Jul 7, 2010
    Oklahoma
    They are regular coturnix. Sounds like you have a Manchurian Golden and a Tibetan, then. The little yellow one would have been white. The one with curled toes would probably have straightened out by itself in a day or so, so you can probably take the booties off in that timeframe. That is usually a humidity issue, but I don't remember if it means it was too high or too low. It is hard to keep humidity stable enough for quail in an LG. It has been so dry where I am that I even had to add a sponge into the Brinsea to raise it during lockdown. I think when your new Brinsea arrives it will make your next hatch alot easier for you.

Hopefully a few more will hatch out for you. [​IMG]

6. krstms

krstms MO Hick Chick

Sep 23, 2009
    Missouri
    Still only two. Not sure if the others are gonna do anything or not.

7. farmdude

farmdude Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2009
    NE Wisconsin
    Quote:I set 25 button quail eggs. On day 16, 3 hatched. i was bummed. On day 17, 16 more hatched. I was amazed. today is day 18 and two more hatched. 21 out of 25 eggs. My first try at buttons. All are doing fine. Eating and drinking well. I use a jar lid for water. To shallow for them to drown.
    Good luck!

8. krstms

krstms MO Hick Chick

Sep 23, 2009
    Missouri
    That's a great hatch. I bet buttons are cute! I can't get over how small these coturnix are. I am officially in love with quail. Gotta have more now! [​IMG] Today is day 19 and no more have hatched. Can't tell for sure if any are pipped but I don't think so. I'm afraid they arent gonna make it. I may try to candle them to see if I can see any signs of life. [​IMG] Still hoping.

9. Kwartel

Jul 7, 2010
    Oklahoma
    The babies are always so adorable. I did things backward and hatched quail chicks before I hatched chicken chicks. Then I couldn't get over how huge the chicken chicks were.

10. krstms

krstms MO Hick Chick

Sep 23, 2009
    Missouri
    Well 2 is all I'm gonna get. still better than last time though so cant complain. (I do hate that LG though) I candled, then float tested, then cracked them and the other 10 or so that made it to lockdown had died at various points of development. Next time I'm gonna try the new brinsea that should be here any day. Thanks for the eggs Kwartel. They are adorable. Like I said I am hooked on quail now. lol.
    The curly toed one is perfect now. No problems with his feet.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by