3 Hens 1 Basket

BlackIce

Songster
Mar 29, 2018
So we provide plenty of baskets for our hens and I’m not sure if it’s just the location of the basket or what. I’m not as much concerned but more so curious. The only part I’m concerned about is that it seems to be when there are 3 hens AT THE SAME TIME in a laying basket they shove each other around and I don’t want that to cause any stress while laying. It almost seems to be like they are supporting the hen that’s laying Should I be at all concerned? Out of the 17 hens we have they mainly only lay in 2 baskets.

Mine always do this. Once someone is in there, others try to climb in on top/to the side/underneath. Then others pace around in front of the nest box grumbling at them. Weirdos.

The only problem I've had, is sometimes an egg gets cracked by all their shuffling around.

It's what they do. Like many people they want what the other guy has.
I have 13 hens and 5 boxes and they also only lay in two. I'll find them practically sitting on top of each other but what ever floats their boat I guess.
Mine always do this. Once someone is in there, others try to climb in on top/to the side/underneath. Then others pace around in front of the nest box grumbling at them. Weirdos.

The only problem I've had, is sometimes an egg gets cracked by all their shuffling around.
I have 12-15 layers and 4 nests.
Keeping a fake egg in each nest helps 'spread the love' and reduce the chaos.
There's often still a 'fav of the day' and some grumbling and pacing but rarely crowding.
I've got 5-9 layers and three nests. Also a couple of fake eggs in the non-popular nests. Doesn't seem to matter. And sometimes they'll shift to another nest, but they ALL shift.
No matter how many nests you provide, there is always a favorite. And boy do they ever let you know it while waiting their turn !!!!:eek:
Thanks for all the replies! I do get some broken eggs every here and there. Glad to know that it’s just chickens being chickens.

Back
Top Bottom