3 hens 2 eggs

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by earlshens, Jan 2, 2015.

1. earlshens

earlshens New Egg

Jan 2, 2015
    I have three hens under a year old, they've all been laying for a few months now. I get 2 eggs everyday instead of three. I know all three are laying, any thoughts on whats going on??? They are all different breeds, one Barre Rock, one Brahma and one Easter Egger. The Easter Egger is a bit broody and and is the queen bee of the flock. I have caught her dropping her eggs outside of the nesting boxes, but haven't seen her do that lately.
    Any feedback appreciated

2. matt44644

matt44644 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2014
    Sanilac County,Michigan
    [​IMG]

3. earlshens

earlshens New Egg

Jan 2, 2015
    do you give your birds probiotics?

4. matt44644

matt44644 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2014
    Sanilac County,Michigan
    Mine get it in their commercial feed.

5. ChickyChickens

ChickyChickens Chickening Around

May 24, 2014
    BYC? Epic <3
    My Coop
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Welcome to BYC!!! There are loads of members on here…so if you have ANY questions…just ASK!!!

Hope you have loads of fun and all your answers answered here on BYC the BEST CHICKEN KEEPING FORUM on EARTH!!

[​IMG][​IMG]

6. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Not all birds lay every day. This is a natural cycle and each bird and breed is different. You cannot control this much other than keeping them on a good diet, plenty of space, a never ending supply of water, keep the stressors down around the coop and spend some quality time with them so they are mentally content. And maybe one day they will surprise you with 3 eggs!!!

Welcome to our flock!

7. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. Two eggs from three birds every day simply means that each of your birds are laying an average of 2 eggs in 3 days. That's an average of about 4 eggs per hen per week which is a typical lay rate of all three of those breeds (technically EEs are a hybrid and not a breed). Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck in getting those eggs.

8. ChickyChickens

ChickyChickens Chickening Around

May 24, 2014
    BYC? Epic <3
    My Coop
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Welcome to BYC!!! There are loads of members on here…so if you have ANY questions…just ASK!!!

Hope you have loads of fun and all your answers answered here on BYC the BEST CHICKEN KEEPING FORUM on EARTH!!

[​IMG][​IMG]

9. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us!

10. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    X 2 - given the breeds you have, the rate of production you are currently seeing is what I would expect. Your breeds are good layers, but not among the most prolific. Your birds sound like they are happy, healthy girls doing just what they are designed to do. If you are looking for more eggs you will want to consider some of the breeds more specifically set for egg production at higher rates - leghorns and sex-link hybrids are great for this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by