3 hens 2 Roo's bad idea???

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by The Coastal Chicks, Jun 25, 2010.

1. The Coastal Chicks

The Coastal Chicks Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2010
    Savannah
    Ok so I found out today I have roo's.. had not planned on this!
    I am not suppost to have Roo's.. and am now quite attached.
    They all have been together since 1 week.
    What should I anticipate?
    They are about 3ish months old.
    [​IMG]

Thanks for listening!

2. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    I would be very cautious .. They will be fine for a few more weeks(maybe [​IMG] ) but then you will start to have problems.. Your hen will be bald form all the mating and the roos if they dont fight , will gang up on her resulting in more damage to her.. If you can I wouldget a few more hens or rehome atleast one of your roos...

3. houndit

houndit There is no H or F in Orpington!

Jul 13, 2008
    Braymer Missouri
    It depends on the roosters. Some will attempt to kill each other others live very peaceably. Probably they will end up fighting over the hens though. If they have a very large area to roam one may go off and live by himself. If you could give one away it would probably be better.

4. chickee

chickee Chillin' With My Peeps

I have 8 hens and two roosters and the one rooster who's boss beats up the other poor rooster [​IMG] They are very competitive and the hens are suffering with bald heads and pulled out neck feathers! I had to seperate them from the hens to add some 12 week old chicks to the flock to keep everyone safe. I would recommend not having two roosters. They will be much happier seperated from each other with their own flocks. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 27, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by