3 hens:2 roos. Is this okay?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by homechick, Aug 1, 2007.

1. homechick

homechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2007
    Mineola, Tx
    I am a little concerned about this. They are getting close to maturity and the two roos fight throughout the day. The hens get picked on some but usually manage to brush them off. Once they reach maturity, will a ratio like this kill or hurt the hens? What can I do? I don't know anybody around here that would want a bantam rooster! Can I neuter a rooster? ha ha ha. Funny.
    I'll take any advice I can get!
    Ps... If I gave one to a family member that owns a farm.. do you think a bantam roo would survive a mostly standard flock? I'd hate to do that to him!

2. HobbyChickener

HobbyChickener Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2007
    central KY
    I think I am about to be in the same boat, except I have possibly 7 roos to 4 hens.

3. eggcetra_farms

eggcetra_farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2007
    San Antonio, TX
    Those 2 roos will make your little girls bare-backed for sure! You need to get rid of a roo, and possible add a female or two. Depending on the roo, 3 girls may not be enough for him (though without competition, I think it will be fine).

4. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    As your roosters mature they will fight for mating rights to the hens....and its not a pretty sight...1 rooster to 7 to 8 hens is the norm...your hens are going to be pretty beat up unless you introduce more hens to 1 rooster...

5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Even with one roo and two hens... they are going to end up bare backed. I would for sure get rid of two of the three roos... or get 19 more hens! I'd do the latter.

6. homechick

homechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2007
    Mineola, Tx
    well I don't have room for many more chickens. And how does somebody go about "getting rid" of a rooster? I feel awful about it. If he went to a farm with standards.. he'd be so picked on! I don't like that at all. I may be able to get two more hens.. but that is it!
    Thanks for all of yalls advice! Anymore would be appreciated!

7. FamilyOfChickens

FamilyOfChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2007
    Northwest Indiana
    Well, for starters, you can post a thread in the Buy-Sell-Giveaways section here, and see if anyone around you is interested in a nice roo. Also, try posting fliers at your local TSC, feed store, or any place people with chickens are likely to go. [​IMG] Or are there any friends who could take him in? I homed two of our four roos by placing an ad in the local classifieds- we got about 20 calls within the first few days!

As a last resort, you may have to end up culling him. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by