3 hens 5 months old

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by cajunlizz, Jun 14, 2008.

1. cajunlizz

cajunlizz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    we have 3 RIR's that are about 5 months old that are NOT laying . WHAt AGE DO THEY START TO LAY ?

i AM ASSUMING THEY ARE 5 MONTHS 0OLD . anybody GOT hens THAT ARE 4, 5 AND 6 MONTHS OLD SO i CAN COMPARE THE SIZES ......

theY EAT ALOT OF LAYING PELLETS AND VERY LITTLE CHICKEN SCRATCH AND GRIT AND PLENTY WATER .

2. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    If they're really 5 months old, it could possibly take up to another 3 months for you to see your first eggs.

Be patient.

3. cajunlizz

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    i THOUGHT most HENS LAY AROUND 20 WEEKS

ANYTHING i CAN DO TO ENCOURGE THE LAYING TO START ? hOW ABOUT PUTTING GOLF BALLS ?

4. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I agree with Shellie. There is not much you can do to encourage them to start. They will lay when they are ready. The golf balls are usually just used to direct the birds where to lay, rather than when to lay.

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Hens lay anywhere from 18-30 weeks old, really. Depends on the breed and the strain and probably other factors. They lay when there's an egg that needs to be extracted, LOL.

6. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    Would calcium be a factor? I know people start to give them crushed clam shell at about 10 weeks.

7. sweetshoplady

sweetshoplady Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    Venice, Florida
    Have they started to squat for you? Usually if they are doing that they are close. How developed are their combs, wattles?

Patience is a virtue. [​IMG]

I hope they lay soon for you. I have 3 pullets who are about 20 weeks old. Their combs aren't quite there yet, but getting close. But actually they are 4 1/2 months. All depends on how you count.

I'd love to see pics of your hens. I'll bet they're pretty.

8. cajunlizz

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    THESE 3 rir HENS THAT i AM REFERRING TO look full grown , but their combs are maybe only 1/4 of an inch .

we have chicks that are 12 WEEKS OLD that the combs are about the same as these 5 month olds .

VERY CONFUSSED [​IMG][​IMG]

9. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    Patience.

It'll come. Then you'll have more eggs than you can shake a stick at.

10. sweetshoplady

sweetshoplady Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    Venice, Florida
    When they get their combs in, they'll be ready and start laying. Yours sound like they're at the same place my Delaware girls are at. I know on my roo that it seemed like one day he had a juvenielle comb and the next day he had his rooster comb.

Just like when you were growing up, all the girls didn't start needing a bra at the same time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by