1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

3 hens & a roo? you tell me...

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by FarmGirl21, Nov 5, 2008.

1. FarmGirl21

FarmGirl21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2008
    WA
    I think I have 3 hens and 1 roo in this little bunch. I had 5 in the hatch but i got rid of one that was identical to the one here i think is a roo. I am pretty sure the smaller white one is the roo but i would like to double check with you "sexperts" [​IMG]

All of the 'females' have flat comb areas but the little 'boy' has a very obvious single comb. the parents were a single comb feather footed banty roo and a little black banty hen.

*fingers crossed*

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 5, 2008
  2. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    I am not 100% sure but I think you may be right. [​IMG]

3. sdshoars

sdshoars Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2008
    Texas
    i think you are right about the single combed little guy, and its a little early to tell yet, but keep an eye on the black one with the rosecomb, i think it looks a little pink already to be a pullet. but you never know, just watch it!

4. FarmGirl21

Sep 16, 2008
    WA
    Also, all 3 of the 'hens' matured a lot faster than the littler rooster. They had their tails & a lot of other feathers before the 2 little guys started showing their tail feathers. they've also always been a little bigger than the 2 twin boys.

5. cbrookkelly

cbrookkelly Out Of The Brooder

Oct 22, 2008
    Cranbrook BC Canada
    The single combed chick is a roo, the dark silkieX looking chick is also a rooster. The buff one seems to be a hen and the white can go either way.

6. FarmGirl21

Sep 16, 2008
    WA
    I know they're not Silkie crosses, is there any other breed that has 'combs' like the black, orange & white ones? theyre like non-existent combs.(not the roo)

7. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    single comb looks like a roo as does the dark one. would need a better comb pic for the other 2 to get a better idea...

8. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

They look at about 3 weeks old. Might be too early for these, but if I had to guess, I say the white single comb and the black ones are roos.

9. FarmGirl21

Sep 16, 2008
    WA
    Crap, this sucks. I will go get some better pictures of them right now....I was really hoping the black one would be a girl too. both parents were single comb so i don't know where they would have gotten the odd flat combs from [​IMG].

10. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    I can see why they think they are silkie x, I would have guessed the same. Also, the buff looks like it has a little bit of a crest on it's head...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by