3 Hens, Each 11 weeks old, Crowing in the morning?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Eatpeasforhealth, May 16, 2011.

1. Eatpeasforhealth

Eatpeasforhealth New Egg

May 16, 2011
    My boyfriend and I are new to the world of raising hens, we started out with our 3 original girls, which happen to be the 3 hens who have taken up the hobby of 'crowing' It started when they were about 8-9 weeks old, it seemed as if one of our girls started crowing and within a few days the others started imitating her. Now while we are pretty confident they are all females, I suppose it could be possible they are males, but they dont hold any charecteristics of being roo's. We have read that while sometimes when a roo isnt present the hens will take on the charecteristics (ours being the crowing) of a rooster, any thoughts on this topic would be MUCH appreciated!!

We are lucky enough to have two wonderful neighbors who don't mind a little noise in the morning, but ultimatley we cannot keep them if they are roosters. [​IMG]

2. pixiedouglas

pixiedouglas Chillin' With My Peeps

Post some pictures on the Breed forum and people will ID for you if they are rooster for sure or not. Try to get a clear shot of the whole body, feet, tail feathers, and comb. Could take multiple pictures of each bird to get every angle you need for a good ID on gender.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by