1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

3 hens, never 3 eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mommaatb, Nov 7, 2013.

1. mommaatb

mommaatb New Egg

Apr 2, 2013
    I have three hens, Leghorn, Australorp, Red sexlink. Never in a week will I get three eggs. I get a white egg 6 days a week, and a brown egg 7 days a week. Two of my hens are brown layers. Are they just switching off days? Why do I never have 3 eggs in one day?

[​IMG]

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    How many weeks are you talking about total? It could be they are just switching days, but if it has been going on for any length of time I would guess that one of the two brown egg layers has not been laying.

3. mommaatb

mommaatb New Egg

Apr 2, 2013
    They started laying in April/May 2013. In all these months, never three eggs in one day. I think the Australorp's eggs are longer than the red sexlink. That's the only difference I can see in the two brown eggs. I just figured they were taking turns, but it just seems odd and not normal.

4. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    I would expect you to get 6 eggs per week from your RSL, so yes, this is a bit odd. Are you sure one of them doesn't have a hidden nest somewhere? Hens are really creative about hiding their eggs sometimes. I once found *40* green eggs behind a pile of rock that I would have sworn was too close to the wall for any chicken to squeeze in behind, much less make a nest and lay eggs there.

I would lock them all into the coop for three to five days and see if your egg numbers improve.

5. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    You almost have to have somebody who is not laying. Can you keep separate one of the two brown layers for a day or so until one lays an egg? You might try posting pictures in case you have a sneaky rooster.

6. SD Bird Lady

SD Bird Lady Chillin' With My Peeps

One thing to check is the stage of bleaching on their legs. An actively laying yellow skinned bird's legs will become almost white when they have been laying for a few months. So if you have a very yellow legged bird she is probably your poor layer.

ETA: If that is a recent picture of your RSL in your avatar, she isn't laying yet. Her comb and wattles are still much to pale and underdeveloped for a bird that has reached POL.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2013
  7. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Lol, I was thinking the same thing about a sneaky rooster!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by