3 hens ....no rooster

jpchicks

Hatching
8 Years
Jun 13, 2011
2 of my Banty hens have been on the nest for a week and will not get off. My 3rd hen is upset because that is the nest she lays in. So no eggs from all 3. How do I stop them from nesting and back to laying eggs?

welcome-byc.gif

It sounds like two of your hens have gone broody. If you don't want them to hatch eggs for you you can break their broodiness by placing them in a wire bottom cage with only food and water for a few days.

I'd say sumi is right. Also, you may not know that it is not good for their health to be left broody, especially if you have no intention of giving them fertile eggs. They don't eat and drink enough and can quickly lose weight and condition.

You are doing them a favour by breaking them of their broodiness if you don't want chicks. I just had to do this for the first time, and it only took two days before she gave up. It felt a bit mean, but I kept reminding myself it is better for her health not to be broody when nothing can come of it.

Good luck.

Absolutely. A hen loses around 25% of her body weight during a normal broody period and if their broody state gets dragged out too long it can end up killing them. I've heard of this happening. Some hens are incredibly stubborn broodies and will simply stay broody for weeks and weeks, even if she's not sitting on eggs.

Back
Top Bottom