3 hour old chick still dragging it's shell

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickenmamatoo, Mar 18, 2008.

1. chickenmamatoo

chickenmamatoo Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2008
    HI,

My 3 hour old chick has not dropped it's shell. The "cord" is still attched to the chick who is dragging it around in the incubator. I did give it a gentle tug and it did not come free. It is moving around in there and seems fine.

Will this hurt the chick? Should I do anything to it?

Thanks

2. ebonykawai

ebonykawai Chillin' With My Peeps

If the cord looks dry, you can snip it close to the shell. Make sure it's dry, though. The rest should fall off eventually.

3. chickenmamatoo

Feb 24, 2008
    It still looks a bit wet but it is all twisted......should I cut it?

How long does this usually take? The others dropped their shells very soon after hatching

4. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    If you clip it do it as close to the shell as you can. Watch it around the other chicks to make sure they don't pick and pull and peck it and cause a navel injury.

5. chickenmamatoo

Feb 24, 2008
    I did clip it but it was looking much drier......I suspect it would have fallen off on its own now.

There was no bleeding but it does look like fresh blood where it enters teh body. Iguess that i sfrom pulling around the egg. It has been in the incubator for 4 hours now and is steadyon it's feet. Should I leave it in for a few more hours and let it get fluffy as to hide it's little nubbin from the other chicks? Can I leave it in there that long? I need to leave for a meeting and am questioning what to do to protect it.

Thanks

6. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I would leave it until it is completely dry. It should be fine for more than a few hours while you are busy.

7. chickenmamatoo

Feb 24, 2008
    Thanks!

23 out 0of 26 is a pretty good hatch!

8. ebonykawai

ebonykawai Chillin' With My Peeps

That's a great hatch, congrats! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by