3 lb or 7 lb feeder for 4 birds?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by dftkarin, Aug 25, 2008.

1. dftkarin

dftkarin Songster

Jun 27, 2008
    I'm still using a little chick feeder for my 4 pullets (who are now almost 7 weeks old) but I want to buy a hanging feeder than will only need filling every few days instead of every day. Locally I can get a 7lb plastic feeder at the TCS, or a 12 lb metal feeder at my local feed show for about the same price. Online I see 3lb feeders for $6 or so - but I would need to pay for shipping. I think I ought to go with the 3 lb one - do you think that is a good size for 4 chickens?

2. chickenlady

chickenlady Songster

Aug 28, 2007
    Stillwater, NJ
    I use the 12lb one for 8 standard size chickens in one coop and 5 XXL cochins in another. In each case, I am good for a week or so. I keep them inside an enclosed area so it does not get wet. I am very happy that i went with the larger ones. I have 3 lb feeders for some of my bantams and am not happy with them. I still need to fill them every day. So, I guess my answer for you is 7lb or 12lb.

3. redoak

redoak Songster

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    I use a 7 lb feeder for my 6 orpington hens and I have to fill it once a week, but they also get plenty of treats. If you think you might ever get more chickens I'd suggest the 7 lb feeder.

4. sfcityfarmer

sfcityfarmer In the Brooder

Jul 8, 2008
    I use a 12lb feeder for my 4 hens, I don't see any downside to using a big feeder as long as you hang it somewhere dry and predator proof.

5. CarlaRiggs

CarlaRiggs Songster

Two of my four hens billet the food out of their feeder. [​IMG] Good waste of food as they search for bits of corn or whatever. I saw a feeder that hangs, and the feed falls into the circular plastic surrounding the part that holds the food. The thing I thought clever was that the circular feeding area had plastic 'dividers' every couple of inches or so. This way a chicken couldn't fling the food out. [​IMG]

Carla

6. dftkarin

dftkarin Songster

Jun 27, 2008
    The reason I didn't want to use the 12 lb metal feeder (although it probably the studiest and best deal) is that its so big, it will take up a lot of my limited coop space. I suppose I could put something in the middke of it so that it could still work right with less feed. Doesn't food get less nutritious and possibly moldy if it sits in a feeder for to long?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by