3 legged bunny baby

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by navasima, Nov 1, 2011.

1. navasima

navasima Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    New Mexico
    I've taken in a 4-5 week old (?) who lost a front leg to a raccoon (probably). It has survived the first 24 hours - surprisingly - and is now in a hutch with a 6 week old female rabbit just so it will have company. Other then providing clean food, water and environment..anything else to do? BTW - I do understand the importance of leaving rabbits alone [​IMG] as in not handled and therefore stressed more....

I was wondering though...... I'm also harboring a momma with 2 2.5 week olds. Any chance I could convince her to take in another? Yeah - I know it's a long shot.....

My hopes aren't high for this little, but hey, if it can have a chance....why not give it one.....

Thanks for any input!

2. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Not knowing rabbits, but I wouldn't put the injured one in with the new momma. Is it possible she will attack him?

3. annanicole18

annanicole18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    USA
    I'm not really paranoid but would be concerned about rabies potentially. Unless there is something really really special about this bunny it would be kinder to put it down. I would definitely not put it with another animal that may bully or try to get rid of the weaker link. Calm dark place that is warm to heal up with as little stress as possible would be the best way to treat it.

4. navasima

Aug 6, 2011
    New Mexico
    Oh Yes! She could very well do that. I haven't tried...she could just flip out and kill her own as well. Little tripod will have to snuggle with his friend and I'll wake with fingers crossed [​IMG]

5. navasima

Aug 6, 2011
    New Mexico
    Quote:Agreed.

The wound was too extensive - RIP little bun.

6. annanicole18

annanicole18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    USA
    Its always hard to lose one especially under those kind of circumstances. Sorry for your loss

7. dainerra

dainerra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    bunnies actually recover pretty easily from amputation. so much so that it is the standard practice for many vets when dealing with a broken leg. The first 24 hours is for shock, which rabbits are very susceptable to, but that goes for any injury.

good luck!

8. navasima

Aug 6, 2011
    New Mexico
    Thanks y'all for your responses.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by