1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

3 male ducks fighting- one dead

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jtuttle3875, Mar 28, 2015.

1. jtuttle3875

jtuttle3875 New Egg

Mar 28, 2015
    Cassville, NY
    I have had three male magpie ducks for almost a year. The three ducks have been inseparable since we got them. They live by our pond and have plenty of space to be away from each other, but they were always huddled together since the day we got them. They made through a tough winter, and about 3 weeks ago we went to feed them in the morning and one duck was missing. We figured a predator got him to we moved the other two to a cage by the house and immediately, the two males began fighting violently and we separated them. The next day, we found the missing duck in the yard. He was dead and his chest was pecked apart (from the other ducks). It's been almost a month and we still cannot have the other two males together or they immediately go crazy fighting. What do I do?!?! Has anyone seen this before??

2. Jessica89

Jessica89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2014
    North Wales
    Oh I am so sorry.. that must be heart breaking for you!

Do you have any females? Sometimes they fight over females... I know their hormones are really high right now which can make them aggressive!

I have never had only males so I hope someone can help you!

3. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    That's really sad. I'm betting the dead duck was the dominant one that kept the other two in line. I would either get at least six females, or rehome the one duck and get two or three females for the other.

4. Jessica89

Jessica89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2014
    North Wales
    I can't believe they would do that.. Ducks can be nasty, can't they?
    I would be so so devastated if that happened to one of my duckies! :(

5. LadyFowler

LadyFowler Just Hatched

Mar 21, 2015
    Howell, MI
    Feel sorry for your loss, the hormones are raging at my farm as well. I just lost both of my drakes yesterday to a vicious rooster. Now I have two widow Rouen hens and rooster roast in the crockpot :(

6. jtuttle3875

jtuttle3875 New Egg

Mar 28, 2015
    Cassville, NY
    Thank you- it was heartbreaking. We do not have any females right now but did recently get 6 ducklings, unsure of the sex. I think maybe I will wait a couple more weeks and try putting them at the pond together again, but if the fighting continues I will have to get rid of one :(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by