3 may be 4 out of 10 made it with help - what went wrong??? PIC"S to

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Seeing Silkies, Dec 8, 2010.

1. Seeing Silkies

Seeing Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Columbia TN
    10 eggs some were shipped some were mine, used the Brinsea Octagon 20 for the 1st 18 days temp & humidity was steady I only opened to add water every 4 or 5 day's and to canle n day 10, I candled 18th day all were good. On the 18 day I put them in a home made incubator/ hatcher, temp & humidity was steady I never opened it untill late day 20 when I knew something was wrong, 2 pip were very early of day 20, 15 hours later no change, By that time 4 were dead in the shell no pip nothing, the 2 that pip I made a zip for them, 1 came out on its own after I did the zip with no blood, the 2nd one had a little blood when i started the zip, I stopped after an hour or so I zipped some more & helped it out, so out of 10 eggs only 2 pip, I pip the other 8, there were no peeps or nothing BUT only 4 were all ready gone, out of the other 4 - 2 are out of the shell after alot of help, 1 seems great 1 not so good and it still in the incubator. Here is some pic's of the 3 that are doing good.

These were silkies & show girl eggs

I have 9 more eggs to hatch out, next week is lock down, should I lock them down on day 17???

I have hatched eggs before,

The ones that did not pip seemed large-packed in the eggs, one of the chicks ( that was all ready gone ) buldge out as I picked a way the shell I could see the wing was over it neck, like it could not lift its head to pip,

I know alot say not to help, But I had to if I didnt help when I did I would not have these 3 and maybe the 4th will pull through, I wished I would of helped sooner but it was day 20 I thought no way could it be to late, The dead ones were full term ( large to ) the ones who past after I helped were full term, but just didnt have any fight left by the time I helped.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

day 1 to 18 temp was 99.5 to 100 & humidity was 35 to 45 with no spikes or drops
    day 18 to 20 temp was 99.5 to 100.5 humidity was 70 to 75 with no spikes or drops

what should I do to change the out come of my next hatch

I have 9 silkie & show Girls that will go to lock down next week & I have some more eggs comming tomorrow Lavender Orpington, I have to find out what i am doing wrong.

just beside myself, 3 maybe 4 out of 10 and if I would of did it by the rules I would have 0

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Honestly, I think it is the breed. I have had so many bad hatches trying to get silkies and I still to this day only have one roo. Also, shipped eggs, if you get 50% hatch that is great hatch.

3. Seeing Silkies

Sep 12, 2010
    Columbia TN
    Quote:wow, that being said.. I wonder is it the breed, if the 4th one makes it ( and i dont think it will [​IMG] ) that would be 2 shipped eggs made it & 2 of my eggs made it ( the 4th one is one of mine ) I have only hatched out silkies & show girls and the 1st ones I did were all shipped eggs from FL every one made it 100% ( 10 good 2 clear ) and I did help a few - it was with a hovabator with temp & everything all over the place- I kind of knew they would need some help at the end, But this was such a smooth run. I have some Lavender Orpington eggs comming ( good bit of $$ my xmass gift I beged for ) I just dont want it to end up like this batch. I still have 9 silkie / show girls to hatch out late next week I am stressing [​IMG] . Well no more eggs, I will see how these 2 hatches go and if its not good maybe give it up. I will start looking up Lavender Orpington hatching see what i can find on there breed, I hope there not a known to be hard to hatch [​IMG] I hate feeling helpless and seeing little ones not make it [​IMG]

4. debilorrah

Me too. I can tell you to get some Poly Visol on hand (liquid baby vitamins), because that can help with wry neck and silkies are prone to wry neck. They are very delicate creatures. Little stinkers. They are also incredibly stupid.

5. Seeing Silkies

Sep 12, 2010
    Columbia TN
    Quote:The 4th chick seems to have a heavy head... so I looked in to the wry neck I could not find any pic's of a few hour old chick, But I read vit E is good so I gave it some of the gel, seems to be trying to hold its head more.... dont know if it is time or vit E but i will keep trying... it is getting stronger

6. debilorrah

Quote:The 4th chick seems to have a heavy head... so I looked in to the wry neck I could not find any pic's of a few hour old chick, But I read vit E is good so I gave it some of the gel, seems to be trying to hold its head more.... dont know if it is time or vit E but i will keep trying... it is getting stronger

Wry neck comes on slowly over a day or two. If it's head is heavy I would recommend the Poly Visol immediately. I didn't pay attention to someone telling me that and I lost the chick, so learn from my mistake. It certainly can't hurt! You can buy it in the baby aisle at any drug store. Wry neck is when they start losing balance and twitching their heads around like a person may if they had Touretts.

7. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    I have also noticed that my silkie chicks prone to wry neck are a LOT louder than the others when they come out. Healthy silkie chicks are pretty mellow once they have food in their tummies and a heat lamp to snuggle under. The ill chicks chirp and cheep and generally are noisy. The polyvisol helps some of them. I also make up a mash of chick crumbles as they seem to have a harder time eating and drinking. The mushy food helps. I have also helped them eat grogel. That at least helps with some nutrients and hydryation.

Silkies are harder to hatch it seems.

(I have a number of young silkie roos that I had planned on selling later in the spring. I will be in and out of Columbia over December if you are wanting a buff silkie cockerel. I will potentially have some buff silkie pullets later in the spring as well. All will be the culls from my breeding program so most will have black in their tails and wing tips, but if you aren't wanting to show they would be great. They are super sweet and really fluffy. [​IMG] )

8. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    I've heard Silkies are not the best for shipped eggs... and a bad hatch, when shipped, should never be unexpected. Always EXPECT shipped eggs to not be a very good hatch rate, though on slightly rare occasions they can be.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2010
  9. debilorrah

There ya go. A couple confirmations on my silkies beliefs. The one I have is one I purchased already hatched. I finally gave up on the shipped silkie eggs and I continue to look for local hatching eggs. In the meantime, I have a new obessesion - Wheaten OEG's. My roo is only 6 inches tall and crows like a mouse!

10. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    rats!!!

guess what I have in the bator. [​IMG]
    These are the ones I had the bad buy experience with too. I hope the last 8 still make it though.
    I will be positive, I will be positive, I will, I will. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by