1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

3 mo old getting snippy!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by amcstay, Dec 13, 2008.

1. amcstay

amcstay Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    My 3 month old Anconca - Roti - has suddenly taken to pecking me! It is almost like she is trying to be dominant and tell me who is boss. When I hold her, she settles in but as soon as I put her down, whack! I get pecked - not hard mind you but more of a "Hey you! I'm in charge" type peck. This usually only happens when I put her down near the other 2 pullets. Any thoughts on this? IS she going to get mean and do this all the time - and if so, how can I get her to stop?
    Thanks,
    Alex

Oh and if I flap my hand at her and say no she puffs up and hops at me! What gives?

2. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    Sounds like she perceives you as some sort of threat.

How often do you just sit with your birds, feed them treats, and talk to them?

3. amcstay

Sep 20, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    Well, at first we sat with them a lot. My daughter is usually the one to go out there and sing to them, find them fresh greens to eat and play with them. I go and feed them and when I have time, I'll sit out there and talk to them, but usually I don't do a whole lot of sitting with them. Maybe if I spend more time out there, she will calm down?

4. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    Are you sure she's a she?? That sounds like rooster behavior to me.

5. amcstay

Sep 20, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    Well, I'm pretty sure she is a she.... I'll post pics later to see if anyone else thinks differently. Her tail feathers are straight and not curved, I paid extra for her to be a she, she hasn't tried to crow yet, and the other Ancona that doesn't act like this looks exactly like her...... But I'll post picks just to be sure.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by