3 mo old pullet unstable and lethargic, not eating! HELP!!!!

steph5253

Chirping
5 Years
Feb 15, 2014
Martinez, Ca.
I am new to having chickens and this is my first flock. I have tried my best to do research and feel that I care for them very well. These birds are my pets and I am so worried about my hen. Please help!

My 12 week old EE Penelope has been lethargic and unstable on her feet for the past 24 hours. It came on sudden and as soon as i realized something was wrong I separated her. She Still tried to get away when I went to investigate but not as actively as she usually does LOL
First I noticed one of her eyes was closed (She opens the eye on and off and everything seems normal) and then I noticed she was unstable and didn't seem to have as much energy as she usually does. (I also noticed that she was mildly pale in her face which rectified today, she's nice and red again. Maybe dehydrated from not eating or drinking)
I did a head to toe and couldn't see other signs or symptoms of illness or parasites. Her respiratory system seems completely normal. I am not sure but she may have loose feathers. Again this is my first time having chickens so I am not sure if the amount of feathers in her hospital box is normal or not :-/
She just sits in he box and does not move much except for when I come in sometimes she gets startled and tries to fly/escape, after a min she gives up and sits. She seems to react funny to sounds sometimes by pulling he head to the side and making a funny noise. She does the same thing if I touch her head sometimes. Like it is painful, but I am not sure.

After a few hours in the hospital bin I realized she wasn't eating or drinking (or pooping) so I've been feeding her through her beak with a syringe and she's been doing well with that. I have been giving electrolyte water and chick feed mixed with some of the aforementioned water. I also gave her some vitamin drops today. She seems improved since I started feeding with syringe but still unstable and a bit lethargic. I have seen her peck at the chick mash a bit. Since syringe feeding she has pooped and it looks normal. So some improvement but I am still lost on what's going on.

She has been vax for mareks. She is out in the coop with 4 other hens and 3 bantams. They are allowed to free range in my backyard during the day. They eat chick crumbles and table scraps. I have never dewormed or treated for fleas/mites. I did buy DA a few weeks ago and put at bit on the coop floor at the recommendation of a veteran chicken owner.

I was thinking vit deficiency, maybe ear infection, or even head injury... But I am so lost on what to do. I keep reading all sorts online, treat with wormer and antibiotics ect but I'm just not sure what to do. Please help

Last edited:
Does she free range in any areas where she may have gotten hold of a rotten animal or fish carcass, or vegetation? Botulism is caused by a toxin found in those things. When you describe her neck turning to the side, does it seem like a spasm that could be wry neck or torticollis? Keep using the vitamins, especially B1 (thiamine) and E. Is she able to stand or walk? Is there any chance of lead poisoning? Here is some info about botulism and wry neck: http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/19/botulism
http://oureggbasket.blogspot.com/2013/04/wry-neck-or-crook-neck-understanding-it.html
http://www.browneggblueegg.com/Article/Crookneck/Crookneck.html

Last edited:
Does she free range in any areas where she may have gotten hold of a rotten animal or fish carcass, or vegetation?  Botulism is caused by a toxin found in those things.  When you describe her neck turning to the side, does it seem like a spasm that could be wry neck or torticollis? Keep using the vitamins, especially B1 (thiamine) and E.   Is she able to stand or walk? Is there any chance of lead poisoning?   Here is some info about botulism and wry neck:  http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/19/botulism
http://oureggbasket.blogspot.com/2013/04/wry-neck-or-crook-neck-understanding-it.html
http://www.browneggblueegg.com/Article/Crookneck/Crookneck.html

First thanks for your quick reply!

I looked at the links and what she does with her neck does not really look like either of those. Something, noise or touch, makes her pull away and turn her head to the side. Like she is trying to get away from something that hurts.

I have not seen anything dead but the chickens do LOVE the compost pile. Obviously there's vegetation decomposing in there... So maybe botulism. But the symptoms don't all match.
She can stand and walk but many times is wobbly or seems to run out of energy and just sits.
I have no idea about lead :-(

Ugh so stressful. I so badly want an answer so I know how to treat her.

I gave poly vi sol, should I give something else specifically for chickens?

Last edited:
She also has not walked in circles or sideway or backwards. She does lean to one side when she runs though. I was thinking it was bc that is the side she sees from, bc she has been keeping the other eye closed a lot...

Most vitamins for poultry come in packets at the feed stores. Poultry Nutridrench, Rooster Booster, and Poultry Cell are some of the brands used. Avian SuperPack online is very good. I don't think that chickens need the extra iron, so I wouldn't use it after today.

So she is eating more on her own and she seems a bit more stable. But seems to run out of the ability to stay stable after a short while, particularly if she exerts herself.

Everything seems normal otherwise :-(

Any ideas why this is happening?

So I am starting to think she may not be able to see well! She is running into her waterer...

I know she can see somewhat at least bc she sees me approach and gets all flustered...

I hope someone can help

Look into her eyes to see if there is anything unusual about them. Is the color of the iris (the colored part of the eye) the right color or gray, is the pupil on each side perfectly round, and is there any cloudiness in the pupil (the black part of the eye?) Are the pupils normal in size or very tiny (pinpoint) or very large (dilated?) You can shine a flashlight into the eyes to see if the pupils get smaller which is the normal reaction. Does she have any leg weakness on one or both sides? Is she mostly sitting or lying down?

Back
Top Bottom