3 MO White Silkie Pullet ill

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CamsCluckinChicks, Nov 25, 2009.

1. CamsCluckinChicks

CamsCluckinChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2009
    Clunette
    Hi. I have a 3-month old white Silkie pullet that has been acting lethargic and one nostril was wet. I quarantined her with a heat lamp, fresh water & food and have kept her in there for a few days. She seems to be getting stronger every day. I did pick some 'boogers' off that nostril that past couple of days, but late yesterday and again this morning it's clear. We have had a LOT, and I mean a LOT of rain and I think she might have caught a cold or beginning of some other respiratory infection.

Since she appears to be on the mend, my question is: When do I get antibiotics for a sick chicken? How long do I let a 'cold' or other type illness go before I run into town & buy them?

Also, how long should I continue to keep her seperated? I was thinking of keeping her in there until we get the 2nd large coop up & can seperate my Silkies & Polish...I think the other chickens are kinda mean to little Sophia (White Silkie in question)...and I think they were preventing her from going into the coop during the rain!!

Thanks! [​IMG]

2. SunshineSilkies

SunshineSilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2009
    Florida
    How do her eyes look? Is she eating and pooping ok? No rattling when she breathes?

3. CamsCluckinChicks

CamsCluckinChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2009
    Clunette
    Eyes look good, poop looks great. During the 1st couple of days, she couldn't hardly keep her eyes open she was so tired! But this morning (and yesterday evening), she's back to 'running' from me & making her cute little brr brr noise. LOL! She's eating very well...in fact, when I 1st removed her from the coop, she didn't have any nasal discharge, but seemed to be starving. I thought maybe the others were keeping her from the food as well... ?

No rattling or wheezing.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by