3 molting hens- no poop for 3 days

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickadee2, Nov 13, 2010.

1. chickadee2

chickadee2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2008
    Our 3 yr old hens (barred rock, americana, production red) are all molting and have been for at least 3 weeks. For the last 3 or so days there has been NO poop in the hen house to clean up in the morning Normally, I would have at least 1/3 to 1/2 of the large coffee can that I use for clean up. I have seen only one or two poops in the yard. They are eating and look fine. Not surprisingly with the molt, we have only had one egg in the last 3 days. (Way down from last year at this time.) Could not find anything in The Chicken Health Handbook (Gail Damerow). No pasty vent on any of them. Before this occurred, the poop did not have a bad oder, I feed yogurt every now and then, especially when poop begins to have a bad smell.

2. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Any signs of broodiness? When my hens go broody, they hold in their droppings and only produce one or two huge, extremely smelly droppings per day. Otherwise, I'd be very concerned about no droppings at night. Are they still eating?

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I would only be GUESSING...but I've wondered if it's because their bodies are using just about everything to fuel the feather regrowth??? Only two of mine went through a hard molt, but I did see lots less droppings on the dropping board each morning. Mine also poop less when it's really cold outside, another reason behind my guess. I think their bodies use more energy when trying to keep warm...

4. chickadee2

Oct 13, 2008
    They still are eating, and still go to the nest boxes, but nothing happens.

5. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Remember that chickens can't digest mIlk protein. You have to give yogurt in small amounts, like 1 tsp per chicken, for the probiotics.

Maybe a little bread soaked in oil to help things along.

6. chickadee2

Oct 13, 2008
    Great suggestion. Many Thanks. I will do that in the morning. They have gone to bed (roost) tonight.

7. chickadee2

Oct 13, 2008
    Milk products have been my mistake. WOW! Let's hope that the situation can turn around. I am sooo crazy about these chickens. To think that I have made such a mistake. I appreciate your help very much.

8. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Quote:Less, sure, but they still have to produce urates, which is the white part of the droppings. If they don't excrete this, toxins will build up in their bodies.

9. mimi62

mimi62 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 9, 2015
    My little hen is going through her first molt and this EXACT situation is happening. No poop in the coop at night. I do see her make "deposits" during the day, however. But it is definitely much less.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by