3 month old (15 weeks) chicks/pullets not eating feed well anymore since foraging...

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by sawprops, Jun 18, 2016.

1. sawprops

sawprops Out Of The Brooder

I have 3 pullets aged 15 weeks who used to eat their feed like crazy. Lately, for the last 2 weeks, they are taking days to eat the same food and still don't eat it all. I let them roam in the backyard all day long and they are quite fond of the side of my house where I'm sure there are lots of bugs! They go there everyday and my thought is how many bugs could there be over there?? My lawn is just average backyard lawn, and frankly is drying out in spots.

Are they getting enough with foraging that they don't want the feed? Don't they need the extra protein that the feed provides in order to be good egg layers and grow properly? How can I get them to eat their food again?!

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    If you want them to eat their food again, pen them up. The insects they are eating is a far better protein source than their feed plus they must taste better.

3. sawprops

sawprops Out Of The Brooder

@Sourland I agree, just wondering if it's enough since they're still growing. How many bugs could they find in my backyard. They have very little interest in this Nutrena anymore! Every now and again in the evening they'll take a few bites but thats it. Not like before,

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    They are not going to starve themselves. If they are hungry, they will increase their consumption of the pellets.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by