3 month old babies and 25 degree or colder?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Angiebubs, Nov 17, 2011.

1. Angiebubs

Angiebubs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2011
    Amery, WI WI/MN border
    I am a new chicken parent (3 months) and needing some reassurance. I read about how chickens are just fine in the cold. I haveolder hens in the coop that appear just fine. However, I have some chickens just over 3 months old (been in the coop for 1.5 months) and its like 28 in the coop. They are huddle up, fluffed up and its going to get a lot colder over night. Do I need to worry or put a brooder light out there? I know its going to get a lot cooler over the next few months so I dont want to get them dependent on warmth Just concerned if they are feathered out enough to handle this right now?

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Be kind to them and allow nature to take its course. Nature uses these cold November nights to prepare them for January. These night cause their down and feathers to fully develop. Don't short circuit what nature will do. They'll huddle up. They tuck their heads under their wings and sleep over the feet. Nothing will be exposed to the air except their down/feather coats. -20 won't harm a feathered chicken. Yours are plenty old enough to take 20 above with no issues.

3. Angiebubs

Aug 19, 2011
    Amery, WI WI/MN border
    Thanks Fred's hens. I keep reading this and have chuckled when others have asked the same thing and are reminded about the wild birds surviving in -30 below...just hard and nerve racking when I see them fluffed all up. Its weird because it seems like its the roosters that were appearing to be the coldest....the lil bantys looked just fine

Last edited: Nov 17, 2011
  4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

They will be just fine. No worries. I've brought fall chicks through winter, many, many times. Frankly? Never lost a fall chick. The cool air is healthier, I guess. I'm in northern Michigan, so I must prepare them for the worst of winter. They don't seem to mind a bit. Although, few of them care for the snow much. [​IMG]

5. Angiebubs

Aug 19, 2011
    Amery, WI WI/MN border
    I'm in WI/MN so I know its going to get a lot colder here as well :p

6. papinator

papinator Out Of The Brooder

Oct 4, 2011
    Des Moines
    I have a bunch that are about 3 mos. old (we live in Iowa) and they're doing just great [​IMG] We've had a few 20 degree nights thus far!

7. wyododge

wyododge Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2011
    Wyoming
    I think it is actually kind of amazing how big they get when they 'puff' up. They look HUGE!!!

8. Angiebubs

Aug 19, 2011
    Amery, WI WI/MN border
    wyododge : I agree...the 3 month old boys were so fluffed up-and being good lil gentlemen-taking the ends on the roost to keep the girls warm. Its so funny-I have a lill bantam yellow cochin (mixed with something as she has a beard muff) -and she buries herself underneath the BR roo-ADORABLE!

9. Angiebubs

Aug 19, 2011
    Amery, WI WI/MN border
    papinator: Thank you-its so nice to have expereincced chicken people to reassure a new mom!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by