3 month old Barnevelder taken gravely ill- please help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ninanonna, Aug 22, 2014.

1. ninanonna

ninanonna Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2009
    Portland
    My 3-month old Barnevelder became suddenly ill today. She was fine last night, but now she has diarrhea and can't hold herself up. She has no interest in eating or drinking, and her breathing is somewhat labored. I've separated her from the rest of the flock, but have absolutely no idea what happened to her. None of my other chickens are showing any symptoms. Any advice?

2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Can you take her to a vet? If not, it would be best to bring her inside where it's warm. Ideally you want to keep her someplace that's 80-85 degrees.

Can you post a picture of her poop?

-Kathy

3. ninanonna

Aug 3, 2009
    Portland
    She is in a separate cage indoors, but I will have my daughter move her into our warmer garage. I will post a picture when I get home.

4. ninanonna

Aug 3, 2009
    Portland
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    Unfortunately, my beautiful Cassia didn't make it, but I'm posting pics of her feces anyway in case you can identify anything and help the rest of my flock.

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    With a 12 week old having diarrhea and having trouble staying up, I would start treating for coccidosis with Corid right away. It won't hurt to treat if it's not cocci, but they can die pretty quickly without treatment. Give her some electrolytes until you get the Corid. Dosage is2 tsp of the liquid, or 1.5 tsp of the powder for 5-7 days. Give it with a dropper is she doesn't drink the liquid.

6. ninanonna

Aug 3, 2009
    Portland
    [​IMG]

7. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Sorry for your loss.

8. ninanonna

Aug 3, 2009
    Portland
    Thank you, Eggcessive.

Isn't there usually blood visible in the stool with coccidiosis? There wasn't any sign of blood. Plus she went from healthy to dead in less than twelve hours. Could it have been some sort of poisoning? Or a defect?

I feel so sad for her best friend- she is sleeping all alone tonight because she's not as accepted by the other hens.

9. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    So sorry for your loss. [​IMG]Neither poop looks normal to me, and if you look really closely at the second one, it looks like there might be some blood in it. My vet was explaining to me that sometimes she sees birds with clostridial infections die very quickly, so maybe?

OSU does necropsies, but I don't know how much they are or if you would be interested in having that done.
    http://vetmed.oregonstate.edu/diagnostic

This is how I ship mine:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/799747/how-to-send-a-bird-for-a-necropsy-pictures

You say the others are acting fine, but you might want to think about doing a round of Corid just in case. Has it been raining where you are lately?

-Kathy

10. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    FYI, I rarely see blood in coccidiosis poop.

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by