3 month old chest is full a she is not acting well

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tjduranfarms, Feb 16, 2017.

1. tjduranfarms

tjduranfarms Just Hatched

Dec 29, 2016
    Norco, Ca
    i have a 3 mnth old half rhd isl red and americauna seems to have a full chest and isnt doing well.
    what to do?

2. slkyldy4evr

slkyldy4evr Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2016
    America
    Could you describe "not doing well"?

Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
  3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Is the whole cheat full or just the crop? How does it feel--full, soft, hard, soft, or like a balloon? The crop is is her upper right chest under the neck. Has she been drinking water? There are 2 main crop problems--impacted crop from eating long grasses that get stuck,and will not pass through. The crop would feel hard, and not empty by the next morning as it should normally. Sour crop feels like a balloon, there may be a sour of bad odor from the beak, and they may be spitting up foul smelling liquid.

4. tjduranfarms

tjduranfarms Just Hatched

Dec 29, 2016
    Norco, Ca
    Yes it was sour crop, unfortunately I caught it too late. I had to dispatch. My favorite chicken paid the ultimate price for my lack of chicken education. But now I know what to look for. I want to thank BYC and all you great chicken folk. It's so reassuring to know so many people are ready to help at a moments notice. Thanks again.

5. slkyldy4evr

slkyldy4evr Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2016
    America
    I'm sorry for your loss :hugs

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by