3 month old chick heavy sleeper sick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickenshiha, Oct 29, 2015.

1. chickenshiha

chickenshiha Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2014
    palestine
    I have a 3 month old chick that is looking wrong and maybe sick she sleeps often and wont wake up until I pick her up the others wake up when I call except this one heavy sleeper I did not find her poo and she eats a little its been like this for 2 weeks (I know I should have posted this before)the other one died almost the same symptoms but died with in 4 days I need help FAST!!!!!!

2. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    Yes, she is sick. Chances are it is coccidiosis if there is no other symptom of runny nose, coughing, but it could be a number of things.

If it were me, I would put her asap on Sulmet as that will cover coccidiosis and several possible bacterial infections...but only if she will drink as that is water added.

You can try eye droppering it into her mouth until she is strong enough to drink.

I would also add Chick Saver electrolytes and vitamin boost in the water as well.

Sulmet should be used generally 1 TB to 1 quart water dosage for 3 days, then half dosage for 4 days.

Good luck.

LofMc

3. chickenshiha

Apr 19, 2014
    palestine
    well the only problem is that we do not have any vets or stuff like that were live it is 3 hour drive from here to the other city but thanks anyway can I make natural remedies like herbs into medicine???

4. Lady of McCamley

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    Herbals only take you so far, and are much better for prevention than treatment.

If you have mediated chick feed (Amprolium), put her on that asap if she isn't already...she probably isn't eating well, so that won't be beneficial unless you an get her to take a warm mash. Medicated chick start doesn't have a lot of the Amprolium, so it is meant for a preventative, but sometimes it can save the day in a borderline case....if it is coccidiosis. The bird is meant to develop its own immunity to the coccidia, and the amprolium allows it to do so slowly.

Apple Cider Vinegar, raw, with mother, in plastic waterer, can help elevate the gut acidity which can discourage coccidia overgrowth. Likewise the probiotics in yogurt and fresh garlic. See if you can't get that into her in the mash.

You can get a lot of stuff off of Amazon if you have that delivery. But I see your location is Palestine? You may indeed have limitations in what you can get.

Keep her separate from the others and litter clean. Hopefully she'll fend it off herself if you can't get to meds.

Good luck with her.

LofMc

5. chickenshiha

Apr 19, 2014
    palestine
    today she looked a bit worse than yesterday, so I put her in a cage with wood shavings in it and gave her some scrambled eggs and plain yogurt and little of her regular feed mixed together, she went right in the mix long time seen her eat like this I put some garlic in her water in case it was worms , she did not have any blood in her poop clean rear her comb is still pink are you sure its coccidiosis ???

Last edited: Oct 31, 2015
  6. Lady of McCamley

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    Not sure of anything as it can be a lot of different things.

However, coccidiosis is the most common ailment in young chicks/birds. It does not always produce bloody poo. It depends on where the infection is in the system and the strain of coccidia.

The most common early symptom of coccidiosis is a lethargic, rumpled look....a chick sitting around fluffed and half sleepy.

Warmth, dirty litter, and moisture are the key elements in an overgrowth coccidiosis, which is ever present in the soil. Check your water bowl area as splash over onto the ground is common source of moisture to grow the protozoa.

I highly recommend adding vinegar to the water to increase the acidic level in the gut. Use what you've got, but raw with the mother is best. 1 tsp to a quart or 1TB to a gallon is all it takes...just a "plop"

LofMc

Last edited: Oct 31, 2015
  7. chickenshiha

Apr 19, 2014
    palestine
    well today I found her dead in the cage[​IMG]if only there was any thing I could have done sooner

8. Lady of McCamley

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    Sorry for your loss. It is always disheartening.

However, the strongest flocks are those that survive without our intervention, so know that those who have survived will be your strongest and best birds....and the ones to breed from if you decide to breed.

LofMc

9. chickenshiha

Apr 19, 2014
    palestine
    I only have 2 pullets left around 4 and 6 months can they get coccidiosis and should I make a new coop for them
    it was very sad she was my best

10. Lady of McCamley

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    Although it typically hits young chicks, any bird can get coccidiosis if the conditions are right....warmth, moisture, fecal material...creates the opportunity for the protozoa to grow.

However, without seeing the bird or having any kind of culture, it is an educated guess it was coccidiosis from symptoms...but it could have been other things.

I recommend that you clean the litter out and get rid of it (burning best if you can). If you have a coop, scrub it out with hydrogen peroxide (you can use hydrogenated laundry detergent like Oxiclean), or bleach water. Let the soapy oxyclean water sit for 15 minutes, then scrub away all organic material until you have clean wood. Bleach is only good if you start with clean wood as it is not good with organic material present for disinfecting.

Replace with fresh shavings. If you have amprolium medicated chick feed, it wouldn't hurt to give that to the other birds for a couple of weeks. If not, then I recommend yogurt supplements in their feed and apple cider vinegar in their water. That goes a long way to boost gut flora and acidity which boosts immunity and helps the chicken ward off overgrowth of protozoa and parasites.

Your other birds haven't shown symptoms, so they may have stronger constitutions and better immunities.

Since it sounds like you have very limited supplies, feeding fresh garlic and pumpkin seeds with cayenne pepper (grind the seeds an mix until crumble)...add yogurt to it...those really are helpful in flushing parasites and boosting the immune system.

Always keep litter and pasture area tidy and moisture free, checking around water dispensers and feed bowls.

LofMc

Last edited: Nov 1, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by