1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

3 month old chick pecked to death

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by nimopiba, Feb 11, 2014.

1. nimopiba

nimopiba Out Of The Brooder

Sep 5, 2013
    Southern CT
    I had gotten 2 ten day old Ameraucana chicks back in November and kept them separated from my mixed flock of 6 six month old layers until a few weeks ago. When I introduced the chicks I placed their crate in the coop and kept them there for 2 weeks. I began to integrate them with the older girls when I was working in the coop in the evenings. There was some pecking from time to time and I would put the chicks away. When the 2 most aggressive hens left the chicks alone everything was fine. I began to leave the chicks in with the pullets overnight about 3 days ago. There was some pecking but nothing really aggressive. Well this morning I went into the coop to find one of the chicks pecked to death and the other absolutely beside herself. I separated her and brought her in the house. Now I am afraid to leave her with the others. What should I do? I need to integrate this now lonely chick into the flock. Any help would be appreciated.

2. TheChips

TheChips Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2013
    Im sorry to hear one died from this. Was there a big size difference?
    I was in a similar situation having adopted 3 bantom Cochins, introducing them to my 3 Isa Brown hens. Though they are only 3-4 weeks apart, there is still a big size difference. They get along find now. Occasional pecking but its not life threatening or concerning.

Do you have a rooster? My aplha rooster stops most of the fights in my chicken coop. If my Isa hen is bothering my small black bantom Cochin, he wil go between them and stop it. Then the Isa loses interest and carries on. They are great at keeping the flock in line when you are away from the coop.

3. nimopiba

Sep 5, 2013
    Southern CT

Yes they are smaller and no I don't have a rooster. I live in the city and they are not allowed. I wish it were that easy. I would go get one tomorrow.

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I would put the remaining chick and her crate in the coop long term...or split the coop...and try again in a couple months when she's bigger and they have been around each other for longer. this will keep the remaining chick from having to be alone.

How big is the coop?
    Was there a place for the chicks to hide or get up and away from the hens?
    Did you supply 2 feeders and waterers?
    Do you have a run?

Might be easier to integrate when they can go outside.

5. nimopiba

Sep 5, 2013
    Southern CT
    I have a run and the coop is 4x8ft with high and low roosting poles. There was also a space that the smaller chickens could fit into that the larger ones couldn't. I have more than one feeder and more than one waterer. I also had a feeder and waterer in the space that only the smaller ones could get to so I am not really sure why it happened. I had the chicks in a crate inside the coop for a few weeks too.

6. ChickenCurt

ChickenCurt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2014
    A safe place within enclosures that allow smaller ones a place of refuge from the larger ones is the best I can tell you without waiting until their sizes match, but even that is no guarantee; some flock never accept newbies. Best to you and your flock.

7. nimopiba

Sep 5, 2013
    Southern CT
    I had a hide away for the smaller ones but that didn't help I guess. I will wait until she is larger to reintroduce her but I will keep her in her own section of the coop for now. Thanks for the well wishes from all who responded.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by