3 month old chicken with droop wings and can't raise head. Is it (can't raise head) because...

Dee55

Chirping
10 Years
Feb 14, 2013
it is so weak with something. I just got these a few days ago and they were in less than sanitary conditions. They all displayed signs of coccidiosis (yellow frothy poop) but I started them on medicated ck feed and that has mostly clear. As a matter of fact, the one that is so listless has perfectly normal poop. Nice and firm. I noticed yesterday that this one seemed a little droopy in the feathers but was running around in the yard just find but this morning when I ck'ed on them, it just stands there and can not raise its head by itself. Crop felt empty so I made a c feed mush and force fed her. I also brought her inside. any suggestions as to what this could be? Could it be worms? I did buy Wazine but have not used it yet.

Medicated feed is not going to work. You got to get Corrid or Sulfadimethoxine and treat, quickly. After mixing it, take a tsp and dribble some on the side of her beak, she will get some .

I agree with seminolewind... You got to get Corrid or Sulfadimethoxine and treat, quickly... like right now...!
Call your feed store and see if they have any, they usually do....if it's coccidiosis they can die within 5 days,
you already noticed it a few days ago....
I believe coccidiosis actually comes from the dirt.....
I would treat them and put them in a pen with white pine chips....and keep them away from all other chickens...
Good luck... I hope they make it..!

OK, just got back from my feed store and all they had was Tetracyline powder (Duramycin) and I have no idea how much to mix in a gallon of water! It is 10 grams and it says that this 6.4oz packet will make 100 gallons containing 100 mg of Tetracyline mix. Does anyone know how much per gallon???????????

OK, just got back from my feed store and all they had was Tetracyline powder (Duramycin) and I have no idea how much to mix in a gallon of water! It is 10 grams and it says that this 6.4oz packet will make 100 gallons containing 100 mg of Tetracyline mix. Does anyone know how much per gallon???????????
That's not going to treat coccidiosis. Do you have a TSC store near you? They should have Corid (amprolium).

I don't even know if it is coccidiosis. This chickens poo is normal. I will check to see if I can find that.

it is so weak with something. I just got these a few days ago and they were in less than sanitary conditions. They all displayed signs of coccidiosis (yellow frothy poop) but I started them on medicated ck feed and that has mostly clear. As a matter of fact, the one that is so listless has perfectly normal poop. Nice and firm. I noticed yesterday that this one seemed a little droopy in the feathers but was running around in the yard just find but this morning when I ck'ed on them, it just stands there and can not raise its head by itself. Crop felt empty so I made a c feed mush and force fed her. I also brought her inside. any suggestions as to what this could be? Could it be worms? I did buy Wazine but have not used it yet.

I don't even know if it is coccidiosis. This chickens poo is normal. I will check to see if I can find that.
Medicated chick feed will not cure them if they have coccidiosis. Can you post some pictures of the poop?

Look for a feed store that carries cattle supplies, you'll find Corid in the cattle dept. Antibiotic's will do no good. I would highly suspect this to be coccidiosis. If it is you have a very, very short amount of time to get treatment started. Once they have too much damage you will not save them. And once one has it it's very easy for other's to get it as well. You may not see diarrhea until the coccidiosis has progressed and you may nor may not see blood in the poop. Once you do see blood they already have quite a bit of intestinal damage going on.

Look for a feed store that carries cattle supplies, you'll find Corid in the cattle dept. Antibiotic's will do no good. I would highly suspect this to be coccidiosis. If it is you have a very, very short amount of time to get treatment started. Once they have too much damage you will not save them. And once one has it it's very easy for other's to get it as well. You may not see diarrhea until the coccidiosis has progressed and you may nor may not see blood in the poop. Once you do see blood they already have quite a bit of intestinal damage going on.
X2. And they are probably dehydrated.

Is it's head drooped like under it's chest? So it looks like it's neck bones just aren't working? Are any of the chicks limping at all? I ask because I had a chick with marek's that started limping, and limped for a couple months, and then one day it couldn't pick up it's head, and that is when I knew it was time to help gently into that good night. There are a lot of chicken disorders that can cause similar symptoms, and probably even some deficiencies.

Back
Top Bottom