3 month old chicks with bumps on face dying

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by DixiePride, Jul 29, 2010.

1. DixiePride

DixiePride New Egg

Jun 17, 2010
    I rescued 5 baby chicks from a guy who was starving them about 2 months ago and they have done really good until yesterday, I was feeding them and one of them had a bump over each eye and its eyes seemed sealed shut and he was standing and you could see his eyes moving under his eye lids but couldn't open them and I wet them and openend them for her and after a while they were shut again, when I picked her up she was light feeling, the second one acted week and had a bump on his face above his beek, this one was the ugliest chicken I ever saw, he was all black with a large beek and I named him crow, he was smaller than the other 4 but the sweetest and he got special priviledge to roam the yard when I was outside because he would stay at my feet, just a sweet heart, I seperated the two from the others last night and this morning when I checked on them they were both dead.... now when I picked up crow yesterday he was also light feeling and I could feel his chest cavity like he was not eating or drinking or something, these chickens have seemed healthy up to a few days ago, I noticed the bumps above the ones eyes a few days ago and then yesterday is when he couldn't open his eyes.... Is it possible something is biting these chickens or could they have a disease? I have about 27 chickens total and I keep all my breeds seperate, these are a mix of breeds and kept them all together since they knew each other.... I need to know if this might be something my other chicks can catch or if I need to look for critters that could be biting them or could it be from the heat we are having here in Florida? help someone.....

2. perolane

perolane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    Louisiana
    Isolate any that have symptoms immediately.
    Provide electrolytes in drinking water & make sure they drink....use a syringe (no needle), eye dropper, etc., if necessary.
    Offer mashed boiled eggs, yogurt, cooked oatmeal....think soft & high protein.
    Keep them in a warm quiet place.

Is there anything else such as trouble breathing, nasal discharge, lethargic, etc.?????

3. DixiePride

DixiePride New Egg

Jun 17, 2010
    Thank you so much for the advice, I will check the other 3 when I get home and see if any more has the bumps on their faces or ruffled feathers, I haven't noticed any other symptoms in them except for the bumps on their face, almost like small growths... I am also going to rake the pen when I get home and put out some DE in case it is an isect that is doing this and making them sick and I bought some Moth balls this morning to put out around the outside of the coop in case a snake is getting into the coop and biting them... I just can't figure it out... It really saddens me about Crow, he was such a special baby and the best child friendly chicken I had, he won't be replaceable.... so sad. thank you again and if anyone else have any ideas what might be causing this or what the bumps might be please let me know.... I am going to put all of them in seperate pens in case it is contangious and quarntine them for a short period..

4. perolane

perolane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    Louisiana
    I don't think this is an insect issue......most likely not a snake issue either. It sounds more like some sort of disease, but hard to pin point without examing.

Sorry about your little Crow....[​IMG]

5. key west chick

key west chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    Sounds like fowl pox. Do a search here and you should find all sorts of stuff on it. Its spread by mosquitoes and since your in Florida, that might be what your dealing with.

6. DixiePride

DixiePride New Egg

Jun 17, 2010
    Thank you guys so much for the advice, I will search on here for the fowl pox and see if there are photos I can relate to.... thanks also for the sympathy for little crow.... you guys are the best

7. aveca

aveca Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Waverly, NY
    Check thier mouths for leisons or cheesey like things stuck to the sides of throat or mouth...facial swelling, possible Tricomoniasis...there seems to be a rash of going around breeding farms in southern states..western states carried on wild birds and spread through community feed and water bowls.

8. DixiePride

DixiePride New Egg

Jun 17, 2010
    Thanks to everyone but I did research the fowl pox and the photos of that is exactly what they had, I am going today to get the vaccine and give it to all my chickens and from what I read if they already have it then the vaccine can kill them but if they don't have it I will be able to save those..... from what I understand it is contagious and also carried by mosquitos and I think I got a rooster with some on his comb that I am seperating as soon as I get home, he is older than the ones that died so they might have been weeker and that is why he has not gotten serious yet....thank you so much for your help...love you guys.

9. key west chick

key west chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    I have 2 little chicks with the dry form right now. I caught them from Key West last week while down on vaca. The mom is showing no signs of it and probably has already had it. My chicks are doing well and seem to be on the mend. Good luck with yours.

10. Captaincasey31

Captaincasey31 New Egg

Jul 5, 2011
    I know what fowl pox are (had a few that came down with it) all survived..yay...but now have 10 new chicks i bought two have ugly bumps on face and beak, reddish in color....any one have any idea what that may be...giving antibotics and de in food....acting fine for now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by