3 Month Old EE cross-Cockerel or Pullet?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by MsBagawkbagawk, Dec 19, 2012.

1. Hi everybody! :frow

This fall I had a hen hatch 10 chicks. Like most of my mama-chick sets they just kind of wwnt feral. Something ended up getting the mama and nine of the babies one night when they were about one month old, and the last one just started following me around, so I adopted him/her.

He quickly "claimed me" as his new mama, and I love him to death. I always kind of assumed it was a boy, but the last week or so I've been thinking that it might actually be a girl. Any help would be appreciated.

His comb is kind of red, but it depends what angle you look at him from, so I dunno.

Here's Potato:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

He's 3 months old.

Thanks! :)

~~Ms.B :)

Last edited: Dec 19, 2012
  2. my sunwolf

my sunwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

At 3 months that look like a pullet [​IMG] And pretty too

3. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    At three months old I'd expect a lot more comb development from a rooster. So I'm gonna say she's a pullet. [​IMG]

4. Chickengirl47

Chickengirl47 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2012
    Louisiana
    Looks like a beautiful pullet

5. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    x3

6. Awesome. Thank you everybody! :D

7. RhodeRunner

RhodeRunner Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2009
    Ashtabula, Ohio
    It has a pea comb, so you can't expect much for comb development. Though, males will develop three distinguished rows. Considering the coloration of that fowl, I wouldn't be too quick to call it a female. Girls are rarely that blotchy, their colors are smoother.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2012
  8. my sunwolf

my sunwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

It actually has pretty typical EE pullet coloring, black head with tawny orange flowing down the body, mixed with partridge. At 3 months, a cockerel would have visible saddle or hackle feathers, and usually a darker shade of the coloration on the shoulders, which on this bird would be red but I see none of that color. Just doesn't make much sense for it to be male if it's 3 months old.

As for comb development on pea combs... this was my runt cockerel at 3 months (also notice darker orange coloring):

[​IMG]

I'd be interested to see a 3 month old cockerel with a smaller pea comb than that!

Though I really think there's a huge difference between sexing EE's and sexing Ameraucanas.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by