3 month old hen, golden lace wyandotte, legs collapsed

zylechicks

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 28, 2008
Two days ago we found one of our young hens at the bottom of her coop, not moving. She was bright eyed and seemed healthy - no obvious signs of illness. She simply would not stand up. We separated her from her flock and have kept her inside for two days. She is eating and drinking, clucking and seems fine in all ways, except she will not stand up for more than 30 seconds at a time. We have added vitamins to her water but that's it.

I put her outside yesteray in the warm sun to see if she would at least try to walk. She quickly laid down and just sat there. At one point, her legs were actually pushed to the side, as if she was laying on her side. When we work her legs, they seem limp.

Other posts seem to talk about this happening to very young chicks. We are at a loss as to what to do. She is perfectly content to be handled and fed, but also does not seem to have any desire to stand on her own and walk. She feels slightly warm to me and I don't think she is eating as much as the others in her flock. But she is eating and drinking.

Have any of you dealt with something like this? Any ideas on what caused this, and how to treat this, or even if this is treatable?

Back
Top Bottom