3 month old hen with hurting leg

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Speed, Jun 4, 2011.

1. Speed

Speed Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2011
    The Berwicks
    The hens like to try to fly out of the coop, I think they are just practicing. Anyway one of them seems to have injured her leg. She can hobble around on it. Should I be concerned, and what if anything can I do to help her. I don't think it's broken. She is sleeping on the floor cause she can't get up on the roosting bars. Please help me.

2. gregnlinda

gregnlinda Out Of The Brooder

May 29, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    Hope you get some helpful info. I'm still early in learning but I have a hen same age group, just started limping a little today. Seems to be able to bear some weight on it. Checked her feet but saw no sign of injury. I'll just keep a watchful eye and try to research injuries and illness. Hope you'll post results and good luck!

3. Speed

Speed Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2011
    The Berwicks
    Looks like no one knows what to do for an injured leg

4. gregnlinda

May 29, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    I did a little searching yesterday and found a site. I think it was jackchenhouse.com that said something about using a hobble for injured legs or toes. What little I know about chicken illness or injury, there are so many things to watch for. I'll try and find out more today and let you know if I learn anything else. That site also mentioned a book about bird care, written by Robert (?), the bird man of Alcatraz. Apparently many birds share share similar behaviors as well as injuries and illness.

5. gregnlinda

May 29, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    Oh, the author of that book, Stroud. The book title also began with his last name. Going to see what I can find about hobbling a chicken.

6. AuburnChickenNewbies

AuburnChickenNewbies Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2011
    One of our 8 week old chicks is limping too. I can't find anything wrong with it, but she's definitely favoring one leg. I just tried looking for that jackchenhouse.com site but it's not a valid name. Do you remember what you searched to find information?

7. gregnlinda

May 29, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    My apologies, I misspelled the name. I started my search with something on the liness of chicken leg injuries illnesses and treatments. I got another link from another byc member. I'll look it up and get that to you as well. There are many sites to peruse, but I think the real issue is when there are no obvious external signs of injury, then it becomes a risky guessing game.

8. gregnlinda

May 29, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    That website was jackshenhouse.com

9. gregnlinda

May 29, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    The other link shared by a byc member was peafowl.org /ARTICLES /1/

10. AuburnChickenNewbies

AuburnChickenNewbies Chillin' With My Peeps