3 month old Icelandic pullet is lethargic, sometimes open mouth breathing

jessandmoore

Hatching
Nov 15, 2020
Hi, I'm new here. Here is the lowdown on this poor chick:

[YESTERDAY - day 1] The chick my first-time broody hatched in August isn't doing well. Less than two weeks ago she was still roosting with mom, occasionally still tucking under her, and this week I have found her in the run, by herself, in the brutal cold. The first time I picked her up, brought her in to warm up while I assessed for anything obvious, then put her back in the coop once it was dark. Yesterday, when doing evening chores she was back in the run by herself, just standing there, while the other chickens had gone to roost. This time I brought her inside and she's been inside over night. Her feet are very cold, she seems lethargic (her eyes are open and alert for a little bit then they close like she is dozing off), and she is occasionally breathing with her mouth open. Has been eating and drinking some, had normal seeming eliminations, but mostly just standing and dozing in her indoor box condo. She has been the wildest of all the chicks I've raised, but right now she doesn't care about being picked up other than an occasional squeak. Any ideas? Is it possible she is hypothermic? And do chickens accept new flock members only to kick them out later?

[UPDATE/TODAY - day 2] She is still eliminating normally, eating and drinking some (has water and electrolyte water), and has been more vocal and active at times than the previous evening, but not consistently. She still mostly just stands in one place and "dozes off" -- sometimes with her head tucked back by her wing, and sometimes standing with her head dropped almost straight down. She is still occasionally breathing with her mouth open. By recommendation I removed electrolyte water and gave her Corid instead. I also have Liquamycin (LA-200) as well, if this is indeed respiratory. It's given by injection which I'm timid about (but will do what needs to be done) -- I'm just not sure what's actually wrong with her and if it's OK to administer both Corid and this antibiotic at the same time. We have no regional avian/poultry vet.

evening/day 1:

day 2:

Last edited:
Hi I think you need to make a you tube video, and then post a link here. I had my husband do it for me a few weeks back.
I am sorry about your pullet. I hope someone is along shortly with some good advice.

Is the mom roosting in the same spot she was before, when the pullet was with her? I've had a hen fly up in a tree and leave her baby behind with no idea how to get up there.

Keep her warm, inside and hydrated. I dont have any answers to your antibiotic question but I can tell you that being nervous about an injectable is totally normal and you're gunna do great. Wrap her in a towel so shes calm, expose the spot you need and administer the shot. Easy peasy. :)

Is the mom roosting in the same spot she was before, when the pullet was with her? I've had a hen fly up in a tree and leave her baby behind with no idea how to get up there.

Keep her warm, inside and hydrated. I dont have any answers to your antibiotic question but I can tell you that being nervous about an injectable is totally normal and you're gunna do great. Wrap her in a towel so shes calm, expose the spot you need and administer the shot. Easy peasy. :)

Yeah, mom is roosting in same spot -- top roosting bar, which baby has done many times before. (As for the injectable--if I can get consistent info about whether or not to administer I think the hard part will be over! I butchered my first roos by myself, after being a vegetarian for 13 years 😜)

Back
Top Bottom